View Single Post
Old December 7, 2013, 22:42   #42
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
I would also recommend this thread on the bay12 forums about early misconceptions that new players had about the game:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133654.0
There are some surprisingly common wrong ideas about a lot of things ...
I don't suffer from the misconceptions in that thread, but I'm sure I suffer. I just don't know it yet.

All I read prior to actually playing DF is the it's incredibly difficult and that I'll lose countless fortresses before accomplishing anything. Perhaps I've accomplished nothing so far and I just don't know it, but I feel like I've accomplished something. I survived my first winter and my Dwarves are bearing offspring.

What is frustrating is that after easily 20+ hours of game play, I know I've accomplished very little in the grand scheme of things and I still have trouble with common, not to mention obscure, commands. There are times when I'll boot up my fortress and spend an hour analyzing my Dwarves skill set and plan a couple of areas/workshops/etc. and then realize that I've yet to unpause the game and play a single turn.