View Single Post
Old November 18, 2019, 09:12   #23
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard44 View Post
My random character generation will involve randomly choosing the character's name, sex, history, age, height, weight, race, and house. For allocating my stat points, I randomly chose one of the four stats until I spent all 13 points. The reason why I do this is my general policy regarding roguelikes, which is to leave every starting circumstance "at birth" to chance whenever possible ... after all, trying to scum for the highest stats or play the most uber powerful race/class combo is getting far too close to save-scumming in my book. After all, you can't just reroll life's board such that you're born into a wealthy family or a family with superior genes. Dealing with such hardships from your starting circumstances, I say, is supposed to teach you about life and about the necessary need to adapt or die. The starting experience points, however, will not be spent until the character is fully generated and proper guidance is given by at least one member. This exception is because experience is technically a post-birth resource, making it a resource that I am okay controlling to some extent.
Notice that this is not how real life works in practice, if that's your goal. You first know your starting 'stats', and then these stats determine if you become a nuclear engineer or a pro football player or a TV presenter. In addition, you will train some of these stats depending on your career path: the football player will spend time in the gym (+STR,CON), the TV host will take public speaking lessons (+CHA). This notion fits well class stat bonuses.
So, just my two cents, but if you want to simulate real life you should randomize your race and the decision how to spend your starting stat bonuses, and then choose your class based on them. (Sil is perhaps the only game where this idea does not fit thematically, since it has 'houses' rather than classes.)

Last edited by fph; November 18, 2019 at 16:59.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote