View Single Post
Old February 2, 2011, 19:44   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I don't know how O solved the rods, but I know that they are probably usefull because you have to be very creative about killing monsters and rods and wands make a nice attack thingy. Adding stronger rods would probably help, also turning mages into guys with lots of rods and wands with some utility spells and such by making them get bonuses with them, artifact wands, rods and staffs. How about a bonus for damage scaling with INT along with a few bonuses for the mage. "You feel a surge of power in the wand. The xxxx dies." would be a x2 multiplier or so. Currently the usefull rods are teleother, detection rods of most sorts, speed and healing. Staves are teleport, banish, destruct, speed, healing. Wands are teleother and that's pretty much it. How do we deal with this?
We already have a bonus to device damage from high device skill, but we don't yet have critical hits with devices. This alone would increase their utility, but I agree with Derakon that rods in particular are generally too deep to be routinely useful. The thing about them being deep is that they sometimes show up OOD, which is exciting - this I think we should keep. So I find myself agreeing with Derakon yet again - increasing the damage would retain the validity of their depth while making them more competitive for those precious inv slots.

I also think we should think about recharge times: not decreasing them across the board, but certainly in some cases (e.g. rod of lightning bolts - keep the damage low and lower the recharge time so a stack is a potential machine gun). We could also look at allowing certain classes to have reduced recharge times as they level up (or maybe make this a racial ability, or even a pval flag).
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote