View Single Post
Old October 12, 2021, 09:55   #5
Dean Anderson
Adept

Dean Anderson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbhax View Post
The Cthangband 6.6 launcher defaulted to Consolas Bold font for me, which in Fullscreen on my 1920x1080 display made the game incredibly hard to read. I couldn't find a way to change font while in game, so I exited and did some experimentation, eventually finding MS Gothic, which was a vast improvement in scale and legibility.

I'm not sure if the game has Consolas Bold specified as a default, or if that's just the top one in my font list or something and so got selected automatically, but it's very bad as a first impression and really doesn't do the game justice.
I also use fullscreen on 1920x1080, and I prefer to use Consolas Bold as the font because I think it looks best (especially on main game display). That's why I chose to use it as the default font.

It just goes to show how subjective font choice is, since I think it's the best font and you think it leaves a bad first impression.

Anyway, you can select any monospace font that you have installed - although whatever font you choose it will probably be squashed slightly as most fonts are taller than they are wide and the game has to squish each character into a square grid cell. I've tried to give a good compromise between glyph deformation and kerning, but since it has to use the same values for all fonts (and each individual font will have its own starting proportions) it will look better on some than others.

Quote:
Also, I kept hitting Esc multiple times to back out of menus impatiently, and this kept bringing up the quit the game y/n prompt, which was a little unnerving; tying backing out of menus to Esc is expected, but to have it also prompt you to quit the game each time you hit it an extra time is kind of scary.
I might re-word that prompt, since it's not asking if you want to quit the game (as in abandoning it) - only if you want to exit back to the menu.

And you need to confirm that too. If you just hit Esc again the prompt goes away.

Even if you say "yes" to the prompt and end up back at the main menu, you're only one keypress away from re-joining the game where you just left off. I deliberately avoided using the Esc key to also quit the menu and close down the game so that if you won't press it one too many times and end up doing that by accident.
Dean Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote