View Single Post
Old March 23, 2012, 08:28   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* Giant Rocs are overpowered. I compiled a list that sorts monsters from levels 36-60 by their average melee damage, multiplied by their speed (so e.g. a 1.5x multiplier for mature dragons). Giant Rocs are 9th from the top, and the only non-unique monster that beats them is the Death Mold. For reference, they're native to dlvl 40. If you divide the damage by the monster's native depth, and exclude unique monsters, then you get this list, where the Giant Roc is 5th from the top.

Now, this list ignores resistances; depending on the type of attack a monster has, it may deal more or less damage. But Rocs still have absurdly burly melee damage for their depth. Given that I remember them being nigh-absolute pushovers, I think someone overcompensated at some point.
It also ignores their resists, hitpoints, and so on. What you've done is recreated half of the monster power algorithm (the bit that works out total melee damage). You need to add power for monster spells and defences - see src/monster/mon-power.c - it hasn't been updated for a while, so it doesn't take into account evasion or absorption properly yet. In fact to be clear, it doesn't take evasion into account at all (which means it needs updating), and it probably undervalues absorption, as it's what used to be simply AC.
Quote:
* Stat gain is very slow. I don't know what the desired rate here is, but note that I only had two stats above 18 (by internal numbers). I'm pretty sure I saw less than 10 stat potions this entire game, counting !Charisma.
That's a very recent change, announced by takkaria in the V forum. IIUC it's intended to offset the fact that stat gain is much quicker now you can get from 18/90 to 18/100 in a single potion.
Quote:
* Note the heavy crossbow in my home. I couldn't hit diddly with that thing, and when I did typically the bolts did pathetic damage. Orb of Draining, especially with my unaccountably high WIS, was much more reliable.
Is this after your changes to ammo dice? More food for thought re archery.
Quote:
* Also note the total lack of artifacts. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it occurs to me that most of the artifacts in the game are going to be serious disappointments by the time they do get generated. If you're going to get 5 artifacts all game, all of them showing up after you've passed 3000', are you really going to want one of them to be Paurhach? I don't know what the right solution here is, though.
Well, the stats show that this time you really are just unlucky (compared with your first v4 AAR, when you were discovering quite how overly rare artifacts were in that version). Artifacts are still rarer than in V (though takk's recent changes have probably narrowed that gap by making artifacts less common in V), but you should certainly find a few before 3000'.
Quote:
* We may want to revisit prowess/finesse values for the different classes. Paladins at least are overbiased towards prowess weapons, I think. When I died at clvl33 my innate finesse was 88 and prowess was 252. Granted this wasn't helped much by my pathetic DEX score of 12 -- but if it'd been 18/50 instead I'd only be up 54 points. The thing to realize is that players are going to tend to favor weapons that favor their stats, so even a slight bias in their stats gets emphasized by their weapons. For example, even if my finesse went from, say, 50 to 500, my blows would only go from 1.05 to 1.5 if I'm using a Great Hammer.
But isn't this precisely what the system is intended to encourage? IMO paladins *ought* to be the most prowess-biased class, so that makes sense. I'm not sure what's really wrong here - were you doing too much damage too early?
Quote:
* Potions of Restore Mana are too common. I also found a lot of potions of Healing for a bit, then suddenly they stopped showing up. Might want to look at a plot of distribution of !Healing as a percentage of all items, with respect to depth.
I think we probably need a look at consumables in general. They haven't really been touched since the fork, and were too common even in 3.3.x
Quote:
* At some point ID-by-use of weapons and armor becomes unfeasible (because swapping gear around becomes dangerous, if nothing else). Currently that means you start examining the item for desirable affixes, and IDing the ones you think might be worthwhile. This breaks down when you consider weapons that can have lots of hidden affixes that boost dice, damage, and finesse, which could make them far more valuable than the weapons that have noticeable affixes but no significant dice or pluses.

My suggestion would be to make dice and pluses reveal on pseudo at some character level; at least by clvl 30. This would go with auto-ID-on-pickup at clvl 45 or whatever, which I know's been suggested before.
Well, pseudo is going, at least its current implementation. I'd be happy for dice and plusses to be revealed in the same way (after a time which depends on class, with warriors quickest then rogues/paladins then rangers/priests then magi), with the speed increasing with clev (so it's instantaneous for warriors by cl20, and for magi by cl40, say).