Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 28, 2011, 09:10   #1
Scraper
Apprentice

Scraper is on a distinguished road
Angband. y u no give numerical damage output?

I'm sure this has been asked/ covered before, but I was just wondering why there is no numerical value given for damage. Something as simple as
You poison the Snaga (50). etc.
17 Hill Giants shudder (78) etc.

I know I can check the average damage per round from inspecting the weapon, but when whacking monsters with it, I'd love to see how hard I'm whacking. It would also be nice to see big numbers pop up when I get a critical hit.

As an aside, and I know I'm probably putting my neck out, but I think using the ****** for a health bar is a little antiquated. Again I'd like to see actual numbers there. I know this obseletes probing and makes it easier for noobs like me (I still haven't won a game), but it's just something I would like to see so I can monitor my progress when taking on big monsters and uniques.
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2011, 09:50   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper View Post
I'm sure this has been asked/ covered before, but I was just wondering why there is no numerical value given for damage. Something as simple as

As an aside, and I know I'm probably putting my neck out, but I think using the ****** for a health bar is a little antiquated. Again I'd like to see actual numbers there. I know this obseletes probing and makes it easier for noobs like me (I still haven't won a game), but it's just something I would like to see so I can monitor my progress when taking on big monsters and uniques.
I think game gives already too much exact numbers as information. Especially monster health is something you should not have exact data, even that health bar is a bit too much. Verbal status info could be better a'la Frog-Knows.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2011, 10:29   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I think game gives already too much exact numbers as information. Especially monster health is something you should not have exact data, even that health bar is a bit too much. Verbal status info could be better a'la Frog-Knows.
I agree with this. If you want to know exact damage numbers, turn on wizard mode.
Old September 28, 2011, 12:06   #4
dos350
Swordsman

dos350 is on a distinguished road
i dont like all this secrecy, rofl jst make it say, pm me 4 a patch

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2011, 12:17   #5
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos350 View Post
i dont like all this secrecy, rofl jst make it say, pm me 4 a patch
I usually have some clue what you are babbling about, but this time I'm lost.

Can someone with more knowledge about yeek language translate?
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2011, 12:50   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I usually have some clue what you are babbling about, but this time I'm lost.

Can someone with more knowledge about yeek language translate?
He's offering the OP a patch which will make the game provide full numerical details about damage (and presumably other stuff as well).
Old September 28, 2011, 15:06   #7
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
I see both sides of the argument.

If we can get useless options removed, I'd like to use the slack to add one for revealing exact numbers. I'm not sure it'd ever be canonical, but I think it's something that's useful to have, and I think it helps players who don't want to read spoilers, ask for advice on oook, or source dive, but who want to get a better feel for e.g. damage calculation.
Old September 28, 2011, 16:16   #8
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
One thing I'd really like to know is how much damage my spells, wands, etc are doing.

I've heard anecdotally on the forums that level, INT, and magic-device skill somehow influence it. But I still look at a Rod of Lightning Bolts listed as doing 4d6 or whatever... and compare it to my 100 DPR melee weapon, and ask "why would I ever use/carry this?"

Even something in the "I"nspect screen that displays current average damage, like for melee/missile weapons, would be appreciated.
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2011, 16:19   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I would like to see your device skill multiplier added to the item description for wands, staves, etc. It's not hard to calculate, but it changes depending on the item -- the multpilier is 1 + (your device skill - object level) / 100. Device skill is given as a number on your character sheet, so you don't need to calculate that (it derives from INT, class, and race though); the object level is in object.txt.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2011, 16:41   #10
Tobias
Adept

Tobias is on a distinguished road
I would like to have exact damage done to me reported. This was not even in wizard mode last time I checked.

I also would like the ability to assign colors to the "The Monster resists my spell" and "The monster is killed by my spell".