Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 28, 2012, 16:17   #1
runequester
Apprentice

runequester is on a distinguished road
So why Angband for you?

What makes you stick with Angband ? What features do you feel makes it stand out in the crowd of roguelikes?
runequester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012, 17:43   #2
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
my reasons....

1. I loved Moria growing up.

2. Random generated dungeons, only ends if you *want* it to.

3. very easy to use interface, if you think about it you have a lot of freedom to pick actions while playing the game, your not very limited in what you can do.

4.It's challenging, and I love high fantasy, and Tolkeins world, and I just love all the little artifacts and randarts out there

5. You don't need a super expensive computer to play, ideally can play well on laptop while watching T.V. That's how I roll

6. Where else can you fight Ancient Multi-Huied Dragons and take on the Balrog of Moria? Angband adds as much to gameplay as it does to imagination, you play the roll of the hero on his journey to defeat the world of evil, and how games out their can say they allow you to pick many different race/class combinations? The game has infinte replayability. Get tired playing a warrior? Try a mage, or a priest or a rogue, or ranger/paladin, this is what makes the game fun.

7. I just love the original and that is V, I love the interface, and it's well polished.
Old August 17, 2012, 02:57   #3
Arphod
Scout

Arphod is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
my reasons....

1. I loved Moria growing up.
You said it all right there. I started playing Moria 5.0 on a VAX/VMS at Ball State University in 1989 in a 24-hour computer lab with a bunch of C coders who needed baths and social skills. Angband is simply Moria on 'roids, and I've won several versions over the years. I like to keep current-ish (just won 3.3.0) , and I keep various offerings around. It's a mood thing. My all-time favorite is 3.0.9b.
was H2SO4.

Last edited by Arphod; August 17, 2012 at 03:06.
Arphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2012, 23:39   #4
Zappa
Apprentice

Zappa is on a distinguished road
Moria was the first video game I ever played. I also use the apwborg screensaver so it has the effect of drawing me back into playing from time to time.
Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012, 02:48   #5
aeneas
Adept

aeneas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runequester View Post
What makes you stick with Angband ? What features do you feel makes it stand out in the crowd of roguelikes?
I haven't stuck with Angband, despite the fact that I was one of the more serious players at one point. Angband's glory days are over. When I play it I play either 3.0.6 or earlier or a patch Eddie Grove made around that time that I like a lot.

Angband was a great game for a long time partially because it had a great Usenet community, and partially because it had great maintainers. I remember being told that "the forum won't hurt the Usenet community at all." I knew better, I told you so, and I was right.

Angband now has shitty little maintainers, a shitty little forum, and is a shitty little game. Congratulations, Andrew and Pavel. You took something a lot of people loved and turned it into a shitty little thing I can't bear to look at.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012, 03:28   #6
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
It doesn't make me freaking play Sokoban every time I start a new character :P
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012, 03:29   #7
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
I haven't stuck with Angband, despite the fact that I was one of the more serious players at one point. Angband's glory days are over. When I play it I play either 3.0.6 or earlier or a patch Eddie Grove made around that time that I like a lot.

Angband was a great game for a long time partially because it had a great Usenet community, and partially because it had great maintainers. I remember being told that "the forum won't hurt the Usenet community at all." I knew better, I told you so, and I was right.

Angband now has shitty little maintainers, a shitty little forum, and is a shitty little game. Congratulations, Andrew and Pavel. You took something a lot of people loved and turned it into a shitty little thing I can't bear to look at.
cool story bro, welcome to the passage of time
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012, 04:33   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think this shitty little game can do without shitty little attitudes like that. You don't like the game, fine, you aren't obligated to. But either help improve it or at the very least have a more constructive attitude. Or shut up and go play your special version of the game in peace. Those seem to be the three reasonable options.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012, 04:44   #9
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
That's some quick thinkng shitty little wittery Derakon! LOL!!!!!!
Old April 29, 2012, 06:40   #10
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That is your choice, and your right.

Quote:
I agree that Angband had a great Usenet community. The problem with maintaining Usenet as the primary forum for discussion is that (even by the time the oook forums started) it was becoming increasingly obscure and difficult to use. IMHO (see! Usenet idiom lives!) moving to a web forum was done at just about the right time. Remaining on Usenet would have ensured the mummification of the game and community - looks good, but is dead. I'd prefer messy life.

Quote:
This is an unworthy and childish paragraph, and I thought better of you. I note the minor point that Pavel is incorrect - look it up.

I think you owe the community, the devteam, and especially Andi and Pav an apology.