Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 6, 2017, 04:39   #11
calvinasleep
Rookie

calvinasleep is on a distinguished road
so i've been playing a bunch more and definitely see that shift-direction sometimes just triggers a trap when its already seen and have 100% disarm. I can't figure out exactly when/why it happens, but definitely seen it a few times just tonight (knife trap, gas trap)
calvinasleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2017, 11:01   #12
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Post a screenshot when this happens, so we can see the layout of the dungeon around the trap/@.
Old December 6, 2017, 16:30   #13
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinasleep View Post
so i've been playing a bunch more and definitely see that shift-direction sometimes just triggers a trap when its already seen and have 100% disarm. I can't figure out exactly when/why it happens, but definitely seen it a few times just tonight (knife trap, gas trap)

Is it the case that you're standing right next to the trap and then pressing shift-direction towards it, or rather that you run towards the trap from farther away and still trigger it? The latter case is a huge bug, as running should always stop short of the trap. In the former case, I guess the game is interpreting your shift-direction as a "walk into the trap" command, given that it's not possible to run in the situation. Whether this behavior is intended or a bug, I can't say. (I never use shift-direction at all; I prefer to issue the run command with ".", which is more convenient than shift because it's right there on the numeric keypad along with the direction keys.) But the solution is simple: don't press shift-direction when next to a trap. Whether your intent is to disarm or simply walk past the trap (through an adjacent space), it's better to just use the normal directional function. Don't try running until you have clear space to run through.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2017, 19:35   #14
calvinasleep
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
Is it the case that you're standing right next to the trap and then pressing shift-direction towards it, or rather that you run towards the trap from farther away and still trigger it? The latter case is a huge bug, as running should always stop short of the trap. In the former case, I guess the game is interpreting your shift-direction as a "walk into the trap" command, given that it's not possible to run in the situation. Whether this behavior is intended or a bug, I can't say. (I never use shift-direction at all; I prefer to issue the run command with ".", which is more convenient than shift because it's right there on the numeric keypad along with the direction keys.) But the solution is simple: don't press shift-direction when next to a trap. Whether your intent is to disarm or simply walk past the trap (through an adjacent space), it's better to just use the normal directional function. Don't try running until you have clear space to run through.
its the latter case from further away. typically occurs when the trap is in a corridor. will try to screenshot the next time it happens. i don't recall it ever failing when immediately adjacent, whether shift-direction or just direction
Old December 6, 2017, 21:28   #15
luneya
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinasleep View Post
its the latter case from further away. typically occurs when the trap is in a corridor. will try to screenshot the next time it happens. i don't recall it ever failing when immediately adjacent, whether shift-direction or just direction
How's your perception score? The only scenario I can think of that matches this is that if you don't know that the trap is there, and so you blunder into it without attempting to disarm.
Old December 7, 2017, 00:23   #16
calvinasleep
Rookie

Quote:
How's your perception score? The only scenario I can think of that matches this is that if you don't know that the trap is there, and so you blunder into it without attempting to disarm.
It is for traps I can already see. I've definitely fallen into a pit or two that wasn't seen (which is why I wasn't sure at first).
Old December 7, 2017, 05:54   #17
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But the solution is simple: don't press shift-direction when next to a trap.
I don't consider that a very helpful answer. Kind of like going to the doctor saying, "Doc, my knee hurts when I bend it." And the doctor answering, "Well, don't do that."

I play on a laptop, so running with the shift key is decidedly more convenient than Shift-">" to get a "." plus arrow key.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017, 21:31   #18
luneya
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I don't consider that a very helpful answer. Kind of like going to the doctor saying, "Doc, my knee hurts when I bend it." And the doctor answering, "Well, don't do that."

I play on a laptop, so running with the shift key is decidedly more convenient than Shift-">" to get a "." plus arrow key.
Not trying to run when standing in dangerous terrain seems to be practical advice to me. It's not really analogous to the doctor case. But it also turns out not to be relevant to the OP's problem, so who cares?

And trying to play on a laptop must really suck. How do you handle diagonal movement? Oh, right, roguelike keyset. But that's an awkward transition for anyone who learned to play on the standard layout.
Old December 7, 2017, 23:16   #19
Talharim
Scout

Talharim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And trying to play on a laptop must really suck. How do you handle diagonal movement? Oh, right, roguelike keyset. But that's an awkward transition for anyone who learned to play on the standard layout.
Call me weird but I always choose laptops with keypads because of roguelikes.
Old December 8, 2017, 01:09   #20
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I play on an 11.6" laptop with no numpad and don't use the Roguelike keyset, so I set the movement delay to 11 and use the arrow keys to go diagonally. It's terribly amusing how in a dangerous situation, no matter how hard I try to press the two direction keys simultaneously to go diagonally, I always manage to press them so far out of sync as to be outside of the 11 delay. This only happens when it really matters, of course, otherwise I have no problems moving diagonally.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote