Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 12, 2007, 13:10   #31
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondch View Post
Just dropped back into *banding having had a dry spell for a while, and didn't feel like getting into anything too weird, and having just watched LoTR 1 2 & 3 in quick sucession on a projector at home, was quite in the mood for some V.

I am a '*bander of Weakness' (-2 credibility), as I can't deal with the text style, or crap graphics style *banding, and as such rely on the AngbandTk bunch, or TomeTik.
Is the "text style" of normal Angband related entirely to the fact that the tiles are never sized properly? Or does it go deeper, i.e. do you make use of the menubar to play the game?

Really, I'm looking for a list of things that you want that current Angband doesn't provide.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2007, 11:20   #32
JoyrexJ9
Rookie

JoyrexJ9 is on a distinguished road
Hope this doesn't count as "hijacking" this thread, but I was about to start another thread on this topic.

I was a Ztk player years ago and miss it dearly, so these days I play V with 32x32 tiles (yeah, yeah, shame on me!) There are a few improvements I'd love to see...
  • Be able to hide the player summary 'sidebar' from the main term-0 window, this means I could move that to another term but with a much smaller font (as playing with 32x32 tiles means the text is HUGE in term-0). Un can do this, this screenshot might explain what I mean better http://files.bencoleman.co.uk/temp/unang_layout.jpg
  • Somehow do away with the increase/decrease tile width settings, this is really obscure for new users, some fixed presets (16x16, 32x32 etc) and a 'custom' setting for advanced users. Sure you can edit the ini file but that's not friendly
  • Some mouse interaction with the other term windows would be nice, i.e. double clicking an item in your inventory list will use/equip it.

Thanks for listening, and it's good to see angband in active development again, thanks guys!
Ben

Last edited by JoyrexJ9; June 30, 2007 at 16:13.
JoyrexJ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2007, 11:40   #33
Daven_26d1
Adept

Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
ASCII rules - if you play under linux in a Konsole or suchlike, everytime you get bored of the look of the game, you give it a fresh breath of life from the 'secret tileset' menu...

...>font>settings!

Tiles can be nice for a change, but far too often I have mistaken a monster for an item or vice-versa; besides, a *lot* of thought and effort goes into making <200 symbols and 32 colours look like a living, breathing, world...

Oh yeah... @joyrex - dblclicking items form inventory in Ztk *does* use them, though I'm not sure at which version# that was introduced.
Also I only ever played Z precompiled under Win, so possibly its a feature from a patch external to the main project.

Last edited by Daven_26d1; July 1, 2007 at 15:09.
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2007, 14:12   #34
JoyrexJ9
Rookie

JoyrexJ9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven_26d1 View Post
Oh yeah... @joyrex - dblclicking items form inventory in Ztk *does* use them, though I'm not sure at which version# that was introduced.
Also I only ever played Z precompiled under Win, so possibly its a feature from a patch external to the main project.
I know it works in Ztk, I was asking for the feature to be added to V. Asking for new features for Ztk in a V forum would be silly! Besides which Ztk has been dead for many years...
JoyrexJ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2007, 15:11   #35
Daven_26d1
Adept

Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
Sorry, it sounded as if you had never seen the feature implemented at all... thought it was a bit odd!
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote