Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 12, 2018, 18:00   #31
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Monks, live and die by their stuns. Their damage in the early game is rather pathetic. Slays and Ego effects would really help there. It isn't that hard to find a good Ego weapon in the early levels, I recently got a (craft) sword out of Town Trouble. So, when the Monk is trying to reach double digit damage a round, a weapon user is doing 30+.

Post 30's, Slays would speed things up, but when your foe is just standing there stunned as you plink away at their health, not really needed.

BUT! What would the justification be for the gloves to not work? Make all Spiked and Studded gloves 'Icky Wield'? That way Monks could still find gloves to match the already tough to fill resistance holes.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018, 08:28   #32
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Found a figurine of a jumping fireball. I don't use figurines often & they're actually pretty harmless but I did think it was cute & would be happy with them appearing often enough to carry a few.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018, 17:30   #33
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
I have little experience in playing characters with SP and there is an attack against such characters that catches me off guard, I think it is something like "It gazes into your eyes and you are blasted by psionic energy": it damages, confuses and drains all SP, is there any resistance against such attacks, for instance does chaos res give some resistance to it
Being blasted by psionic energy is a spell that dates from Vanilla, and is harmful to both magical and mundane characters. Assuming FrogCom doesn't change things, the only defense is your standard saving throw, so e.g. an amulet of antimagic would be helpful, as would improving your WIS score.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 02:02   #34
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

Math Oddity

So, I was dual wielding a pair of daggers on a Ninja.
Wearing the Set of Gauntlets (+1,+1) from the Thieves quest I was doing 39 Main hand, 21 Offhand. I upgraded the Gauntlets to a Studded (+1,+3) set.
The damage changed from 39 > 39 Main, and 21 > 25 Offhand.

Really seems to be odd rounding or something.
Old June 14, 2018, 02:41   #35
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

Quote:
With weapons bonuses and dual wielding, half the bonus is applied to each weapon, so each weapon gets (0.5, 1.5) from the new gloves
And with the displayed weapon damage, I think it runs many simulations and takes an average, so the displayed damage can vary a bit
Thanks, it just seemed odd that it didn't change the main hand at all, and had a major effect on the offhand.
I know with rings they only affect the matching Hand. ie. A Ring of Combat +Dmg on the right hand only affects the right-hand weapon.
Old June 16, 2018, 13:37   #36
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
A few quick notes:

- Mushrooms of cure poison do cure all poison.
- Potions of restore mana are very useful even to no-SP classes (other than berserkers) because they partially recharge devices. I routinely take potions of restore mana to the Serpent fight on characters with no SP.
- Barbarian talismans with -1 INT are okay, they are not empty.
- Everyone receives a blade of chaos for sand pit. You don't need to individually report every class it's useless to because it's useless to everybody, barring a really lucky ego or artifact roll.
Old June 16, 2018, 13:51   #37
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

Just a curiosity thing, but is there somewhere that documents the difference in the various attack messages?
Hit and Miss are of course obvious. What about 'Good hit', 'Great Hit', 'Gouge', 'Backsatb', 'Cut half through', etc? Are these messages simple color, or do they have meaning? And if so what meaning?
Old June 16, 2018, 16:24   #38
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

Quote:
The following is my opinion, hopefully it is reasonably accurate

Critical hits are multipliers, "Good hit", "Great hit" and "*GREAT* hit" are criticals, each has a higher multiplier than the previous
Sharp/vorpal weapons apply a multiplier to the base damage of the weapon, "You have gouged him", "You have cut him in half!" are vorpal criticals, each with a higher multiplier than the base, and the latter with a higher multiplier than the former
The effects of the multipliers are more visible on a 6d8 weapon than on a 1d6 weapon

It may be that, because of the way armour works, criticals are especially helpful against opponents with high AC
Thank you. that matched my gut feelings about them, but without seeing an actual damage number, (ie. You hit for 42, 21 after armor. etc) it is hard to rate efficacy of weapons.
Old June 16, 2018, 17:01   #39
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
[*]To auto-pickup artifacts you need to enter "artifact" in the autodestroyer, for it to be consistent with the other commands in the autodestroyer it would need to be "artifacts"
"Artifact" is a modifier similar to "common", "nameless", "ego" etc., rather than an item type like "armors", "shooters", "weapons", so the singular is consistent. I am currently testing a pickpref with "?unidentified artifact items", which so far seems to be producing the desired behavior; viz. un-IDed sensed artifacts are automatically picked up and identified, and listed as wanted objects if they couldn't be identified, but already identified artifacts are not automatically picked up or listed as wanted objects.
Old June 16, 2018, 17:02   #40
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
In V, at least, criticals are included in weapon damage estimates. Big dice weapons do up to 10% more than their nominal damage.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband