Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 9, 2018, 15:48   #21
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
It is clearly Rocketband.
I did one good thing years ago and have been coasting on my reputation since then...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018, 01:55   #22
OmniNegro
Rookie

OmniNegro is on a distinguished road
Right now, Frog and Compos are both simply the best available by a huge amount.

But when I first started playing such games, Furyband was the best by an equally huge amount. The GUI is pretty bad for today, but what other variant can you play as a Lygrog without any melee attack and become all but invulnerable if you lived long enough?

How about playing as a Jedi? (With Lightsabers too.)

Furyband was not the first with Monster races to play, but it was the first with so many to choose from. It had a deity system that no game I am aware of ever came close to. (With multiple gods you can choose from that reacted differently to many things.)

And while not based on Angband, I really should mention how absolutely great Nethack is. And if you played Nethack and liked it, there is always "Slash'Em Extended". It has thousands of race and class combinations and is literally the hardest game imaginable. (If you doubt this, please try it.)

(The changelog for the current version is 1022 lines long. See for yourself.)

Be fairly warned. AmyBSOD (The maintainer of Slash'Em Extended.) Is clearly a sadist and enjoys making players suffer in the most aggravating ways imaginable. (She is actually very nice and easy to talk to. But the game is not even remotely fair.)

Good day everyone.
OmniNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018, 22:40   #23
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I did one good thing years ago and have been coasting on my reputation since then...
Not bad for an April Fool's joke. I still occasionally go back and play it for awhile.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 10:31   #24
Bucephalus
Rookie

Bucephalus is on a distinguished road
Zangband.

All that really mattered in Zangband was how much gold you had and how brave you were.

The races were balanced and straightforward.

Access to level 80 dungeons at level 1 made gaining 40+ levels in a single turn a viable option.

The randarts were often stupidly powerful (activatable wraithform?) and crazy expensive, which made gold valuable.

The Death realm was, just, superior. You could quaff potions of death as a wraith.

Its more powerful classes (warrior-mages, paladins) were initially harder, but worth it.

Its overworld was elegant, atmospheric, pitiless, huge, and foremost, worth exploring.
Bucephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 12:40   #25
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Zangband is quite impressive.

I like the TK-versions of several variants that were available as AngbandTK or TKAnband. There was also a really nice isometric UI:
http://skyward.fr/mirror/archive/ftp...es/Angband/Tk/

Mondkalb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 08:11   #26
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
There was also a really nice isometric UI:
You can do this for any variant that has a GCU port with the Necklace of the Eye frontend.

http://www.roguetemple.com/z/noteye/

You can also play in FPP mode.
Old August 10, 2018, 12:32   #27
AmyBSOD
Rookie

AmyBSOD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniNegro View Post
And while not based on Angband, I really should mention how absolutely great Nethack is. And if you played Nethack and liked it, there is always "Slash'Em Extended". It has thousands of race and class combinations and is literally the hardest game imaginable. (If you doubt this, please try it.)
There's also my ToME-SX variant of ToME 2.3.5, but unfortunately I have so much stuff on the to-do list of SLASH'EM Extended that it has not been updated in a long time. ToME-SX is actually not all that hard, and in many regards probably easier than the variant it's based upon.
Old September 30, 2018, 08:13   #28
Mocht
Apprentice

Mocht is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniNegro View Post
And while not based on Angband, I really should mention how absolutely great Nethack is. And if you played Nethack and liked it, there is always "Slash'Em Extended". It has thousands of race and class combinations
I am intrigued by all the race/class combinations in Slashem-extended
I have never played Nethack, could you give some indication of how Slashem-extended is different to Frogcomposband
I read that Nethack is full of unintuitive tricks, such as dipping swords into fountains or blindfolded characters being invulnerable, I didn't like the sound of that at all
Mocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2018, 12:35   #29
Maddz
Rookie

Maddz is on a distinguished road
Hengband, by a long shot. I just wish there was an OS X port for the new version, but I suppose when we replace the iMac I can revert the old one to Snow Leopard.
Maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2018, 11:16   #30
Firons2
Rookie

Firons2 is on a distinguished road
Personally, it's Unangband for me, it has a very polished feel, detailed writing, I love everything about it.
Firons2 is offline   Reply With Quote