AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old November 30, 2018, 17:43   #11
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Pathologic
Devil Daggers

If you were to play Pathologic without spoiling yourself, it is very brutal. Even spoiling yourself it's grueling. I also find it very enjoyable... it's like... a misery simulator?

Devil Daggers is just a fps so you may not count this, I suppose. I'm in the top 1% on the leaderboards and am still nowhere near winning (if you count 500sc as winning, which is the goal of most players). I enjoy this for the adrenaline rush.

These are both games I find very difficult and enjoy.
Old November 30, 2018, 21:06   #12
AndyS
Scout

AndyS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post

I also find it very enjoyable... it's like... a misery simulator?

haha that's exactly what Im looking for. Can never have too much misery. Thank you all for the suggestions, I look forward to trying them out if I ever beat this game. Even when I do Ill still come back and play angband, maybe with some of the more difficult restrictions Ive read about and with different characters. When I first played I played exclusively as Priests and Mages. This time around Ive found it much easier as a Warrior, although Im at the end now and thinking maybe I wouldnt mind a sudden change in vocation
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2018, 13:17   #13
AmyBSOD
Rookie

AmyBSOD is on a distinguished road
My NetHack variant "SLASH'EM Extended" is also generally considered to be a very hard game, possibly one of the hardest or even THE hardest currently available NetHack variant As seen in this link, it commits the cardinal sin of sometimes screwing up the player's interface, which is in addition to all the new powerful monsters and other actual in-game dangers.
Old December 7, 2018, 10:50   #14
Gauss
Rookie

Gauss is on a distinguished road
if someone wants a DIFFICULT game experience then play Halo 2 campaign on legendary.
It's a nightmare.

Have fun
Gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2018, 00:49   #15
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
if someone wants a DIFFICULT game experience then play Halo 2 campaign on legendary.
It's a nightmare.

Have fun
Shout out to Gauss about Halo 2 Legendary! I personally beaten it on Legendary on solo by myself. What an experience! Since this is now mentioned honorably, I hope to do that entire Halo 2 Legendary solo campaign again by myself. I might make some videos of how I (Hugo) play Halo 2. If you've ever played Halo 1, its 3rd level - Truth & Reconciliation - has a gravity lift room that is notorious for being brutal on Legendary.

This is me killing the Covenant in Halo 1's Legendary Truth & Reconciliation gravity lift room...Hugo-style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IKgKnBKNtA

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; December 8, 2018 at 00:57.
HugoTheGreat2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2018, 10:07   #16
Gauss
Rookie

Sometimes i have nightmares with jackal snipers.
Those bastards never miss a shot.
Old December 10, 2018, 09:28   #17
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Shadow of the Beast. Hardest game ever.
Old December 10, 2018, 16:33   #18
Gauss
Rookie

For those who like RTS, Warcraft 2 expansion Beyond the Dark Portal is also VERY difficult.
Especially on the orc campaign there are really hard levels.
Old December 10, 2018, 22:45   #19
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Good God DooM has inspired one HELL of a lot of difficult and impressive maps over the years! Happy birthday DooM! Quarter of a century of mapping bliss!

This deserves its own thread, but since so many doom maps are terrifyingly difficult on "Ultra Violence" (Nevermind Nightmare skill level) I thought I'd just post this here!

https://www.doomworld.com/25years/to...emorable-maps/

Here is one such example from the 100 most memorable maps of the past 25 years. Basically, it's Moria after all the Balrogs have been woken and wreaked havoc over the place:

Scroll down to entry # 33.

"Could Gandalf have held off 24 Balrogs without a BFG? Probably not, and neither can you, so you’ll have to start running. This map has you taking the long way around its grand central chamber, navigating platforms over lava and trying to clear out the opposition ahead of you as fast as you can to make it to the arsenal at the end of the map before you’re overtaken by your pursuers."

DooM, such a magnificent game then and now; put together by the most talented people in the gaming industry, and inspiring the most talented designers around the world to continue evolving the game to this day. So--frickin'--awesome!