AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 1, 2019, 20:34   #281
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
...[*]Books for half-casters are now a subset of the full caster ones (with a sad backward look at the blackguard book names)
Surprisingly, I miss the half-caster specific books and names too. What was the logic for why they had to be removed/reverted?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2019, 23:37   #282
Diego Gonzalez
Scout

Diego Gonzalez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Surprisingly, I miss the half-caster specific books and names too. What was the logic for why they had to be removed/reverted?
I agree. That was a nice change. I always liked how classes were very unique in O. The half-caster books made me remember that.
Diego Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019, 00:59   #283
jevansau
Adept

jevansau is on a distinguished road
RE: Also, in the lore under Wormtongue, Agent of Saruman it says he does not resist nether (I casted a nether bolt). But in the game it says he resists somewhat when I cast the spell at him. Perhaps he gets a resistance from another magic source?

I believe that all evil creatures have resists somewhat to nether.
jevansau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019, 01:39   #284
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
TMJ. With half-caster books for each realm, that would make only 1 book in 8 that any character could use, instead of 1 in 4 (still not great, but not ridiculous.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Gonzalez View Post
I agree. That was a nice change. I always liked how classes were very unique in O. The half-caster books made me remember that.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019, 02:09   #285
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Gonzalez View Post
The primary thing was confusion about who could read what books. Previously all casters could read all books of their realm; with the current situation, at least full casters still can.

I'm certainly open to re-reverting this depending on how people feel about it. Maybe I should start a thread specifically for how to handle books and what their names should be.

Also, hi Diego!
Old April 2, 2019, 04:01   #286
Youssarian
Scout

Youssarian is on a distinguished road
I think blood falcons might be too tough for their level. Or as I now call them, Dead @ Falcons.

I just had my level 26 necromancer killed by one. It appeared already awake and hit me. I phased door away and healed to full and in that one action it got within two squares of me. I tried to cast a spell and failed and it killed me without being able to take another action. This was at 1000'.

Went from full hit points to dead with no chance to do anything. Maybe slow them down a little?

He commands his servant Sauron to create the One Cupcake of Doom!
Youssarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019, 04:08   #287
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If they need to be nerfed, IMO it'd be better to reduce their damage output a bit than slow them. I think that a really fast enemy with moderate melee is more distinctive than a pretty fast enemy with strong melee.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019, 06:32   #288
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
I like them. Only died once so far, first time. But I died more times due to low speed, eg vs Wiruin so the blood falcon has a purpose. Teleport, then detect detect, find large room ...
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019, 07:28   #289
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
My proposed solution for the books is tweaking the code so that only readable books can ever be generated.

Advantages: no more unreadable books problems; no more color issues (all books can effectively be the same color); no more high level feelings caused by an unreadable book that is effectively junk; helps towards TMJ; less confusing for newbies; no more "I bought the wrong color book by mistake".

Disadvantages: it would be the only example of the content of the dungeon changing based on the player; one cannot have an idea of the frequency of the books for class X without having played it; in some sense other spellbooks work as an "advertisement" to play class X.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019, 12:13   #290
Diego Gonzalez
Scout

Diego Gonzalez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Also, hi Diego!
Hi Nick! I'm truly enjoying the nightlies! The last version I played of Vanilla was 3.0.5 hehe.

Currently having fun playing a clvl 35 Necro, dlvl 53. Hoping to find the dungeon books soon.

I like the spell selection you made. I don't really use the frighten spells (not my style).

I have a suggestion... It seems to me that noxious fumes is a bit weak at low levels. Since it does poison damage to the caster, it should inflict more damage to monsters. What other necro players think?

About blood falcons. Yes, they are very hard, but with this character I chose to not fight them, and the "l"s. Luckily I found a rod of TO pretty quickly.
Diego Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote