Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 14, 2020, 00:48   #31
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
If you're not confident in your stealth, then going for a higher stealth combo could work, but you will have a lot less stats and hit dice to play with that way. If you do, Kobold is best.

That said, Very Good is sufficient if you have the right mentality, which is to always be going somewhere in particular (somewhere you have detected either an interesting object or a staircase), with a good idea of what's in the way (from detect monster). Don't hang around places for very long, that way you'll wake up whatever is near you. That way you stretch your stealth furthest (note: Stealth is effectively a modifier that affects how fast monsters wake up, three points of stealth are worth double the time).
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2020, 08:18   #32
Angrist
Adept

Angrist is on a distinguished road
I reflected about stealth The goal of the game is to kill Morgoth. So one need to actually fight him, not hide from him. So the stealth is only useful to avoid some fights, not to win the game
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2020, 12:19   #33
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Angrist--
You can't win without reaching DL 99 and gathering loot. Stealth makes that a *lot* easier, until you get your CON up above 18/150. A high level rogue with legendary stealth can waltz through a room with Huan and the Tarrasque* and not wake either one.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2020, 12:58   #34
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
I reflected about stealth The goal of the game is to kill Morgoth. So one need to actually fight him, not hide from him. So the stealth is only useful to avoid some fights, not to win the game
This is true in the same sense that, say, detection will not help you win the fight with Morgoth. Plenty of things that are very useful in the rest of the game are not very useful in the final fight. But you need to survive the rest of the game to make it to the final fight. Stealth helps you survive, and thereby helps you win.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2020, 08:26   #35
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Also it seems that it is more comfortable to play on a mobile phone, than on a PC, lol.
How are you playing this on a phone?
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2020, 15:23   #36
Angrist
Adept

Angrist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
How are you playing this on a phone?
There is an Anndroid port called Angdroid. They deleted it from Google Play, but you still can find it.
Now I have a 6,4" screen phone, so it is pretty comfortable to simultaniously keep open a keyboard and a dungeon piece. You cannot usually see the entire game screen, but you can easily scroll it with your finger.
https://pasteboard.co/IQ5Z4qI.jpg
https://pasteboard.co/IQ5Zlpy.jpg
As you can see, keyboard is pretty small, leaving space for the dungeon. But still you can easily hit its keys on a large screen. Also I used to play this on a galaxy S5300 phone with a very small screen. I played on that phone in 2014 in school
I played Angband 4.2.0 on PC for the first time for two hours and my leg hurt and my arm hurt because of static position of body. But never got such symptoms with phone. Also I play without tiles. Mouse is absolutely not-needed. On the phone I think it is more convenient to use modern keyset (walk on numpad). But on a PC roguelike keyset is more convenient.
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2020, 13:27   #37
PopTart
Scout

PopTart is on a distinguished road
By about level 10, if I'm playing as a mage, I grab a wand of Turn Stone into Mud. Two zaps will end an Umber Hulk.
PopTart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
half-troll, hulk, troll