Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old December 17, 2019, 14:18   #81
KiTA
Rookie

KiTA is on a distinguished road
Odd question. I installed MinGW and compiled the latest version of the source as of this writing. --enable-win et all.

And it's... doing ok, except when I maximize the screen, the screen is limited to like 20 characters across. It fills the screen as normal up and down.

When I don't use maximize and just drag the screen, it's fine until... I think when it hits 1080p (my monitor is 1440p) when it does:

https://imgur.com/OTcVuK6

Ninja Edit:

After a bit of fiddling and a day of playing, I set the font to size 12 and extended the size of the "tiles" slightly, this resolved it.

Edit:

Igor thoughts:

* To remove items from your ice bag, you (t)ake them out and hit \ to switch to ice bag.
* I don't quite get what determines what causes body parts to successfully pop out of the corpse. Sounds like Dex?
* So far, no body parts have been useful at all, but it's very early.
* Looking through the source, I can't quite make heads or tails about what body parts get what and how.

Blue Mage thoughts:

* You start with a wand of magic missile and no spells. Makes sense, but I'd almost rather see you start with magic m...
* ... Can you shoot yourself with the wand to learn magic missile? (No)
* First spell I always go for is running straight to the bandit cave and hoping for something to shoot me or hit me with magic missile. A nice single target spell.
* When I think Blue Mages, I think Scimitar or Long Sword for some reason. FF5 had them using swords IIRC, FFXI had them as a more arabic theme, so scimitars. FF14 has them using rods, though.
* Shoot (arrows) are ok, but Magic Missile seems to do more damage.
* Swamps have Stinking Cloud, which is a great aoe
* Dark Nagas have a ton of spells.

Igor + Blue Mage feels very very weak, although I'm not very used to mages, tbh. More than once I've been one shotted. Will keep trying. Since dying during the tavern quest is pretty easy, I have taken to just going straight to Bandit floor 1 and looking for something to learn magic missile or shoot from.

I see you can now do a random Chaos Patron... is there a rhyme or reason to them? I know in zangband they had spoily differences...:
http://www.zangband.org/Spoilers/Chaos-Patrons.aspx

I see a lot using Narjhan, for example. I've been going Slannesh, because, well, Slannesh. (Kinda wish quick-create selected the last Chaos Patron you selected, so you could just hit enter past that.)

Maybe enable shift-letter on the chaos patron screen?

Last edited by KiTA; December 18, 2019 at 01:35.
KiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2020, 02:57   #82
DavidB1111
Rookie

DavidB1111 is on a distinguished road
So, I've discovered a weird bug in this variant with this version. One I never found before.
Every so often now, the game freaks out and gives me an error message about Assertion Failed when I pick up items.
IT's in relation to the Obj->loc.where == inv->type
This is really annoying, because I really like this character so far, and I have no idea why it started to happen, or what caused it. It's completely random, and any item can set it off, and it breaks the game because even though I can ignore it, it constantly spams it every time I pick up any item after that.
I don't know what the heck is going on.

Has anyone had this happen?

Last edited by DavidB1111; February 13, 2020 at 03:06.
DavidB1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020, 13:37   #83
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB1111 View Post
So, I've discovered a weird bug in this variant with this version. One I never found before.
Every so often now, the game freaks out and gives me an error message about Assertion Failed when I pick up items.
IT's in relation to the Obj->loc.where == inv->type
This is really annoying, because I really like this character so far, and I have no idea why it started to happen, or what caused it. It's completely random, and any item can set it off, and it breaks the game because even though I can ignore it, it constantly spams it every time I pick up any item after that.
I don't know what the heck is going on.

Has anyone had this happen?
That's a new one; my first guess would be savefile corruption, caused either by a rare bug or some external issue, but I'd have to see the savefile to draw any real conclusions.
Old February 14, 2020, 14:57   #84
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTA View Post
I see you can now do a random Chaos Patron... is there a rhyme or reason to them? I know in zangband they had spoily differences...:
http://www.zangband.org/Spoilers/Chaos-Patrons.aspx

I see a lot using Narjhan, for example. I've been going Slannesh, because, well, Slannesh. (Kinda wish quick-create selected the last Chaos Patron you selected, so you could just hit enter past that.)

Maybe enable shift-letter on the chaos patron screen?
If you want a more in-depth treatment of chaos patrons, Oposband has copied Composband's patron behaviour. The FrogComposband answer to this seems to be disciples.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband