Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

View Poll Results: Add Dwarven hooded cloak to V?
Yes 13 68.42%
No 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 13, 2020, 00:17   #21
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
rFire, rShards, reduce encumbrance by 25% (the dwarves always carried a ton of stuff with them without slowing).
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2020, 12:37   #22
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Early/mid game dwarven cloaks could have rAcid and +2 base AC.

Later ones would occasionally sustain CON as well with greater AC bonus (but no con bonus, too many dwarven items already have).

Or... later ones always have more AC bonus than early ones, and might have one or more of the following: Sustain CON, +1 CON, rShards.

Or maybe something like this:

Early/mid game Dwarven cloaks:

[2]AC and possibility of bonus (like all basic cloaks).
Chance of rAcid -- 50%
Chance of rFire -- 20%
Chance of AC bonus greater than +7 -- 4% and max possible bonus around 11 or 12, so that +8 = 4% chance, +9 = 3%, +10 = 2% +11 = 1% +12 = 0.1%.

Late game Dwarven Cloaks:

[2] AC (always has AC bonus with significantly higher max than early game dwarven cloaks)
Chance of rAcid -- 100%
Chance of rFire -- 50%
Chance of rShards -- 33%.
Chance of +1 CON -- 20%
Chance of Sustain CON -- 16.67%
Chance of Sustain STR -- 6.67%
Chance of +2 CON -- 0%

Otherwise I think Estie's suggestion is very sensible and wise.
Old October 16, 2020, 02:08   #23
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
my rough understanding of the LOTR+ material is that, only stuff made by the elves, although "mundane", had magic-like proprieties.

For instance, the elvish rope, ties and unties itself, but the elves dismiss this as being "magic", but rather just "well built".

In fact, magic isn't really common in LOTR+, at least not as your typical D&D magic, instead you got various quality of manufacturing. So, dwarven armour is incredibly light and supple, but not magical.

Elven stuff alone has these "magical" qualities, the cloaks blending in with their surroundings, boots walking on snow without leaving footprints, but rather than "enchanting" these items, as - for example - the Rings Of Power have been enchanted, the elves state that these proprieties come from these items having been made very well, in tune with nature and the very essence of the item, i.e. a "ropy" rope.
What, your ropes do not unties themselves? uh, they must be rubbish ropes.

So, no. No dwarven hooded cloaks. They may be typical dwarfish items, but they would not be notable ego items the same way that elven cloaks are.

I would agree with Estie and just turn the Fur Cloak into Dwarven Cloak.
Old October 16, 2020, 15:14   #24
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Gg--
That is way too good, unless you are considering a rare restricted ego item (no elven or fur dwarven cloaks) or an artifact.
I didn't mean it needed to have *all* those things, just that they all seemed like logical possibilities.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2020, 18:00   #25
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
my rough understanding of the LOTR+ material is that, only stuff made by the elves, although "mundane", had magic-like proprieties.

For instance, the elvish rope, ties and unties itself, but the elves dismiss this as being "magic", but rather just "well built".

In fact, magic isn't really common in LOTR+, at least not as your typical D&D magic, instead you got various quality of manufacturing. So, dwarven armour is incredibly light and supple, but not magical.

Elven stuff alone has these "magical" qualities, the cloaks blending in with their surroundings, boots walking on snow without leaving footprints, but rather than "enchanting" these items, as - for example - the Rings Of Power have been enchanted, the elves state that these proprieties come from these items having been made very well, in tune with nature and the very essence of the item, i.e. a "ropy" rope.
What, your ropes do not unties themselves? uh, they must be rubbish ropes.

So, no. No dwarven hooded cloaks. They may be typical dwarfish items, but they would not be notable ego items the same way that elven cloaks are.

I would agree with Estie and just turn the Fur Cloak into Dwarven Cloak.
Yes it is also important to me that my hobbit necromancer wearing balance dragon scale mail and slinging around a blade of chaos has a cloak that is completely faithful to Tolkien...
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2020, 18:43   #26
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
I'd be more excited if a new artifact was presented, but I really don't feel strongly for this one otherwise. I haven't read JRRT deep enough to remember how dwarven cloaks are canonical. Gimli wore one, right? Fundin is named after his cloak. Those are the only details I know.

Changing fur cloaks to dwarven cloaks has no game play effect. Maybe that's the right direction, but if the change would be done, maybe increase it's base AC a bit?

But as far as flavor discussion is concerned, I'm content as long as the game doesn't introduce firearms. That'd be too much even for me
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2020, 04:30   #27
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Sphara wrote:
Quote:
But as far as flavor discussion is concerned, I'm content as long as the game doesn't introduce firearms
Hmm...
Code:
You killed the Uruk of the White Hand. --more-- 
Something  rolls  under  your feet. 
You see: the Fire of Orthanc
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote