Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old November 5, 2009, 19:20   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Really, why shouldn't I be allowed to ignore whatever I want to ignore for whatever reason I have?
You are right - I wasn't being clear. I have no problem with you choosing to ignore anything you want to ignore. I'm quite happy for people to squelch by flavour, if that's what they want to do. What I'm not happy with is the game giving away information I shouldn't have, because I have squelched potions of sleep before I ever find one. That's what's happening at the moment - but I think it's a bug with the whole save/load/pref file issue rather than the squelch interface itself. If I've never found a potion of sleep then I shouldn't have the option to squelch one. Yet somehow I am loading up a previous load of squelch settings, which means that the unknown sleep flavour is set to squelch. More on this when I've done the whole deleting pref files thing.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2009, 20:08   #12
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
You are right - I wasn't being clear. I have no problem with you choosing to ignore anything you want to ignore. I'm quite happy for people to squelch by flavour, if that's what they want to do. What I'm not happy with is the game giving away information I shouldn't have, because I have squelched potions of sleep before I ever find one. That's what's happening at the moment - but I think it's a bug with the whole save/load/pref file issue rather than the squelch interface itself. If I've never found a potion of sleep then I shouldn't have the option to squelch one. Yet somehow I am loading up a previous load of squelch settings, which means that the unknown sleep flavour is set to squelch. More on this when I've done the whole deleting pref files thing.
I have a suspicion that is the quality based squelching that is out of whack and squelches things before even looking at them, not a pref file issue.
Old November 5, 2009, 20:39   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
I have a suspicion that is the quality based squelching that is out of whack and squelches things before even looking at them, not a pref file issue.
Correct. Steps to confirm this bug:

1. Start a new game - check that all squelch options are zeroed. Specifically, check that the object knowledge menus show no flavours as squelched.

2. Walk into store #5 to see a load of scrolls. You don't know the flavours of these scrolls, but you now know they exist.

3. Go to the squelch menu, via options, and choose to squelch any or all of the scrolls you now know about.

4. Go to the object knowledge menu, and see the unknown flavours now marked as squelched.

Opened as ticket #978.
Old November 5, 2009, 21:50   #14
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Are the unaware flavors in fact squelched? You can check the flavor in the squelch menu through options. They might not be squelched unaware, but the object knowledge display is mistaken.

It might seems that I am being overly pedantic, but those would be two rather different bugs.

[edit] I just found a ref in cmd-know.c to k_ptr->squelch. No code outside squelch.c should access that directly, and presumably that is the bug. The unaware flavors should be checking kind_is_squelched_unaware(k_ptr).

Last edited by PowerDiver; November 5, 2009 at 22:06.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2009, 23:13   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Are the unaware flavors in fact squelched? You can check the flavor in the squelch menu through options. They might not be squelched unaware, but the object knowledge display is mistaken.

It might seems that I am being overly pedantic, but those would be two rather different bugs.

[edit] I just found a ref in cmd-know.c to k_ptr->squelch. No code outside squelch.c should access that directly, and presumably that is the bug. The unaware flavors should be checking kind_is_squelched_unaware(k_ptr).
Thank you. I'm sure you're right - I was only concerned about the knowledge menu, not about the actual squelching. I'll see if I can fix cmd-know.c following your find.

EDIT: ok, it wasn't as simple as that. I replaced the "if (k_ptr->squelch)" line with "if ((kind_is_squelched_aware(k_ptr)) || (kind_is_squelched_unaware(k_ptr)))" and the bug is still extant: I can squelch an unknown scroll type in options and the flavour shows up squelched in the object knowledge menu, even though that same flavour is not squelched in options. Ho hum.

EDIT2: Ok, it was pretty simple after all. The correct formulation was "if ((aware && kind_is_squelched_aware(k_ptr)) || (!aware && kind_is_squelched_unaware(k_ptr)))" ... fixed now - thanks Eddie.

Last edited by Magnate; November 5, 2009 at 23:37.
Old November 5, 2009, 23:35   #16
PowerDiver
Prophet

You have to check whether the menu item is the aware version "sleep" aware or the unaware version "zyx abc", and then call the appropriate function.
Old November 5, 2009, 23:49   #17
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Ok, here are the ones I still consider outstanding bugs:
Quote:
1. I get garbage messages in the message recall window when I drop items in my home - as if the name of the item I dropped is made up of unprintable characters: like "You drop @$^{Y@#%^P". Doesn't seem to happen in any other store.
Reported as trac.rephial.org/ticket/977 - ooops, this was a duplicate ticket. Fixed in r1703 thanks to Marble Dice.
Quote:
4. The object knowledge menus do not include the special artifact flavours under rings and amulets, thereby immediately giving away when a new flavour is an artifact. IMO this is a bug, and the artifact flavours should be included on the knowledge menus.
Reported as trac.rephial.org/ticket/979 - outstanding.
Quote:
6. The "recall" function in the artifact knowledge menu is borked. It should give you your current knowledge of the artifact, but at the moment it gives you very little (because it uses the make_fake_artifact function and it's not picking up the flags). I intend to correct this to use known_flags, as it should be uncontroversial.
Reported as trac.rephial.org/ticket/976 - fixed in r1701.
Quote:
7. The recall of ego items is broken too, because the tval is not set for the dummy item. (It says "it causes your melee attacks to slay undead" for weapons, when it should just say "slays undead".) I intend to correct this too.
Reported as trac.rephial.org/ticket/294
Quote:
8. Cancelling use of ?ID takes turn. Also "you have nothing to identify" takes a turn. IMO neither of these should take a turn - like trying to melee while afraid. Anyone agree? (ISTR this was changed recently for the spell, so that mana is not wasted if you have nothing to ID.)
Reported as trac.rephial.org/ticket/980 - the mana thing wasn't fixed, but there is at least already a ticket for it.
Quote:
9. Inscriptions are parsed wrongly in stores (@b5!d!k!v results in "really try...?" when browsing in home, and is totally ignored in others)
Reported as trac.rephial.org/ticket/862

Last edited by Magnate; November 11, 2009 at 18:42.
Old November 6, 2009, 00:00   #18
PowerDiver
Prophet

Here's the contents of my BUGS file.

could not learn !blindness, either drinking [dwarf] or throwing [did damage]

quaffed contemplation, losing str, got "ring of strength glows" even though it did not help

inspected gloves, told of activation before ever wielded or pseudoed

threw shot, learned slay on ground, not in pack

aimed wand at dragon, killed it, saw it with infra not light, no awareness [was wonder]

learn awareness on say "wis+2, do not get full id until rewield it

need to see both fast and slow indicators when under speed spell and inertia so you don't quaff an extra !speed thinking it ran out
Old November 6, 2009, 00:30   #19
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Could not learn !blindness, either drinking [dwarf] or throwing [did damage]
IMO the former should be solved by learning all effects to which you are resistant - kobolds should learn !poison and dwarves should learn ?darkness and !blindness. The latter is interesting: Sangband has thrown potions confer their effects on the target, so you learn the flavour if a monster is blinded.
Quote:
quaffed contemplation, losing str, got "ring of strength glows" even though it did not help
Isn't this WAD? Sustains can't stop the stat loss from these potions, but the sustain should nonetheless be noticed as a consequence of the effect? Seems ok to me - but then we know my brain is wired differently to yours.
Quote:
inspected gloves, told of activation before ever wielded or pseudoed
When do you think you should learn that an object has an activation? This has never been determined, hence this odd behaviour. Personally I find it silly that you should have to attempt activation or wait for pseudo, so maybe you learn on wield?
Quote:
threw shot, learned slay on ground, not in pack

aimed wand at dragon, killed it, saw it with infra not light, no awareness [was wonder]

learn awareness on say "wis+2, do not get full id until rewield it
These are all pretty straightforward ID bugs I think.
Quote:
need to see both fast and slow indicators when under speed spell and inertia so you don't quaff an extra !speed thinking it ran out
But Fast and Slow occupy the same place on the status line ...
Old November 6, 2009, 00:56   #20
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Sustains can't stop the stat loss from these potions, but the sustain should nonetheless be noticed as a consequence of the effect?
It seems to me that the sustain is equally as relevant as rFire when your max strength is lowered. To me, noticing the sustain makes no sense. I'd say the same for a time attack that lowers the current but ignores sustains.

I guess I don't really care, but it seemed odd enough to add to my bug list.

If you can notice an activation on pickup, you should get {splendid} or {special} notice at the same time. I don't know why I thought notice on wield made more sense. Now that you point it out, notice on pickup makes more sense, 'cause you see the activation button sticking out , except that it is inconsistent with the way everything else works via notice on wield. Of course, I also think you should always notice {special} on pickup too ...