Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old January 6, 2010, 01:15   #1
michael
Rookie

michael is on a distinguished road
Longest time to a winner EVER

Well, Ive been playing Angband for 18 and a half years on and off, I have no idea how many games over the years, and I expect nobody else here has played for that long without a winner...

Finally I have a winner. Human Mage.

Playing a version so old that it is probably the only copy of it left in existance (2.4.FN). way before all that fancy targetting stuff, you can only fire on the straights and diagonals (where the monsters can fire at any angle), and where speed rings don't stack. W00t!

The version is so old, it didnt have the capability of dumping a winner, so, screenshots'r'us.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1276322722

Via facebook cos Im too lazy to put them anywhere better...

OK, Facebook wasnt working for some reason, Ive added it to my server

The moment after Morgoth died.

Character sheet

Inventory

Equipment

Last edited by michael; January 6, 2010 at 20:49.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2010, 01:38   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
That is absolutely excellent. Congrats!
Old January 6, 2010, 01:58   #3
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Aahh the good old days. Back when a Ring of Speed +1 and Boots of Speed +1 made you king

If I recall, 1 in 888 rings of speed is actually +2, and you can stack a +1 ring of speed with a +2 ring of speed ... but that's just crazy!

Congrats on the win!
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2010, 04:17   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Congratulations!

Might we get a shot of your equipment? It'd be nice to remember what all those items used to be like fifteen years ago...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2010, 05:09   #5
michael
Rookie

The screenshots should include inventrory, equipment, character sheet, and screenshot the round after Morgoth died
Old January 6, 2010, 15:55   #6
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Well, Ive been playing Angband for 18 and a half years on and off, I have no idea how many games over the years, and I expect nobody else here has played for that long without a winner...

Finally I have a winner. Human Mage.

Playing a version so old that it is probably the only copy of it left in existance (2.4.FN). way before all that fancy targetting stuff, you can only fire on the straights and diagonals (where the monsters can fire at any angle), and where speed rings don't stack. W00t!

The version is so old, it didnt have the capability of dumping a winner, so, screenshots'r'us.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1276322722

Via facebook cos Im too lazy to put them anywhere better...
I think you beat me - I counted about 17 years without winning until a few months ago. Those old versions of Angband were all I played back then, and then made the huge jump to the newer ones in the past year or two.

All I saw was your character screen, not inventory, etc... Do you need to be a Facebook member to get access to your other photos?
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2010, 20:47   #7
michael
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
I think you beat me - I counted about 17 years without winning until a few months ago. Those old versions of Angband were all I played back then, and then made the huge jump to the newer ones in the past year or two.

All I saw was your character screen, not inventory, etc... Do you need to be a Facebook member to get access to your other photos?
Well, thats crap if facebook isnt showing you the whole thing. Ive edited the original post and added in the images there.

At 17 years, you must have got a version JUST as it escaped from Warwick, or you were there for pre-release gaming goodness {:-)
Old January 7, 2010, 11:57   #8
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
*Bandobras bows deeply*

Only 15-16 years here, no old savegames left (they were on a public Faculty server, no point copying), so can't say exactly. I didn't have my own PC at that time, yet. No winner even with savescumming, but I've seen a balrog once. Legitimately!
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2010, 14:09   #9
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Well, thats crap if facebook isnt showing you the whole thing. Ive edited the original post and added in the images there.

At 17 years, you must have got a version JUST as it escaped from Warwick, or you were there for pre-release gaming goodness {:-)
Maybe it was Moria / Hack / etc... I never got very far until recently. I have no idea why it just "seemed" easier this time around. I probably started playing the original Hack around 1985-87 or so? Was it out then? I remember playing it on my original 286!!!
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2010, 05:27   #10
o-o
Rookie

o-o is on a distinguished road
I thought it took me a long time; I started playing in 1995 and finally got one past the goalie last week. It's not like I was obsessive about it, except when my thesis was getting closer to being due, and over this last month. I feel strangely liberated. No reverting to saved back-ups, even.

I love those screen-shots. Those were the days, my friend.

Respect.
o-o is offline   Reply With Quote