Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

View Poll Results: What is stopping you from playing Unangband?
Haven't heard of it. 3 8.33%
It doesn't sound that interesting. 3 8.33%
There's too many other variants out there. 17 47.22%
I've tried it and didn't like it. 6 16.67%
I've tried it and am waiting for the next release. 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2007, 16:35   #61
Hard Nova
Rookie
 
Hard Nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
Hard Nova is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
Hello Andrew,

I really would like to try your variant (I readed your blog, and UnAngband looks like a great game), but the reason I am not currently playing unangband is simple; it is one of those "unrunnable" variants on my pc; when I launch the .exe, I receive a black window.
Sangband and Quickband gives me the same error.

I am currently playing Nppband, which runs without problems (my os is win xp).
Hard Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2007, 10:38   #62
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 42
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Nova View Post
Hello Andrew,

I really would like to try your variant (I readed your blog, and UnAngband looks like a great game), but the reason I am not currently playing unangband is simple; it is one of those "unrunnable" variants on my pc; when I launch the .exe, I receive a black window.
Sangband and Quickband gives me the same error.

I am currently playing Nppband, which runs without problems (my os is win xp).
There's not a huge amount I can do without being able to duplicate this fault, or have someone with a reasonable amount of technical knowledge to do the same.

Some basics:

1. Delete the angband.ini file and relaunch the game.
2. Try changing the fonts from the title bar menu.
3. Download the SDL version of Sangband for Windows and see if the fault occurs there. If you have the SDL version, double-check if the ibm version causes the same problem. You can get both versions of this from http://runegold.org/sangband/files/
4. Recompile Unangband using the -DUSE_IBM flag (or try the makefile.ibm - its been a while and I'm not sure if that still works). I've got instructions on how to compile Unangband on my blog.

Let me know how this goes.

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2007, 06:26   #63
shadus
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10
shadus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
There's not a huge amount I can do without being able to duplicate this fault, or have someone with a reasonable amount of technical knowledge to do the same.

Some basics:

1. Delete the angband.ini file and relaunch the game.
2. Try changing the fonts from the title bar menu.
3. Download the SDL version of Sangband for Windows and see if the fault occurs there. If you have the SDL version, double-check if the ibm version causes the same problem. You can get both versions of this from http://runegold.org/sangband/files/
4. Recompile Unangband using the -DUSE_IBM flag (or try the makefile.ibm - its been a while and I'm not sure if that still works). I've got instructions on how to compile Unangband on my blog.

Let me know how this goes.

Andrew
This is the exact problem I was talking about in the other threads.

Ill run through the list...

1. No effect, still black screened.
2. Different fonts, no effect, *but* if I turn on graphics mode then fiddle around till I get into the game the graphics show up, none of the text does though.
3a. SDL version of sangband works fine even running after unangband.
3b. *No* *band version works after unangband (all give same black screen) except SDL Sangband. Tried vanilla, tome, port, etc. After a reboot they all work normally until unangband is run.

I didn't do #4 because I'm using pre-compiled windows binaries for each of the *bands.

Mind, this is all window's I'm talking about... in linux I've never had these kind of problems... if it compiles, it generally works. Windows.. not so much.

Secondary note while trying to isolate this, I entirely deleted *all* of my "Text Games" directory on my computer, redownloaded each one, rebooted, and now unangband is working for me. Still not working on girlfriends computer, but working on mine.

Interesting-- deleted stuff on her computer, it had some complaints about files being in use still after unangband was unloaded. After a reboot got everything deleted, copied my text games directory to her machine and now it works correctly also.

I'm stumped. On the bright side I'm fixed now!

My suggestions to the other person having this issue: Reboot, remove all *band games from your computer, redownload them and install them. Maybe it's a file corruption issue or an allocated resource issue... I have no clue at this point, I'm completely mystified.

Edit: Having tried it for a bit (before posting this), I'm not real fond of it. The interface feels okay, but switching between maps and finding enough to kill at the beginning is a bit hard if you don't know where you're starting, definetly a *band I'm going to keep my eye on though, seems like it has potential.
shadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 21:26   #64
Kav
Scout
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
Kav is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
I've got instructions on how to compile Unangband on my blog.
I just searched all over your site but I can't find said instructions. The install.txt file (last edited by RR in 01) says to just run ./configure as usual, but it isn't in the top level directory of the source zip or the src sub directory.

So what do I need to do to get it to compile? I'd love to give un a try, please help.
Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 21:47   #65
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 42
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav View Post
I just searched all over your site but I can't find said instructions. The install.txt file (last edited by RR in 01) says to just run ./configure as usual, but it isn't in the top level directory of the source zip or the src sub directory.

So what do I need to do to get it to compile? I'd love to give un a try, please help.
I've possibly not included the right files in the source .zip for configure. Someone with more Linux knowledge should step in here. I've always just run make in the src directory.

You'd probably want to do make -f makefile.std

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 21:54   #66
Kav
Scout
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
Kav is on a distinguished road
There's where my inexperience shows. I knew it had to be something easy like that.
It's compiling now.

Thank you

[edit]
it died

Code:
make[1]: `main.o' is up to date.
make[1]: `maid-x11.o' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/unangband/unangband-062-src/src'
gcc -Wall -pipe -O2 -D"USE_X11" -D"USE_GCU" -D"USE_NCURSES"  -o unangband birth.o cave.o cmd1.o cmd2.o cmd3.o cmd4.o cmd5.o cmd6.o info.o dungeon.o files.o generate.o init1.o init2.o load.o melee1.o melee2.o monster1.o monster2.o object1.o object2.o randart.o save.o spells1.o spells2.o store.o tables.o util.o variable.o wizard1.o wizard2.o xtra1.o xtra2.o borgdumb.o z-form.o z-rand.o z-term.o z-util.o z-virt.o  main-cap.o main-gcu.o main-x11.o main-xaw.o main.o maid-x11.o -lX11 -lncurses -L/usr/X11R6/lib
util.o: In function `my_fopen_temp':
util.c:(.text+0x4d8a): warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
main.o: In function `main':
main.c:(.text+0x1f4): undefined reference to `help_ibm'
main.c:(.text+0x281): undefined reference to `init_ibm'
main.o:(.rodata+0x130): undefined reference to `help_ibm'
main.o:(.rodata+0x134): undefined reference to `init_ibm'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [unangband] Error 1

Last edited by Kav; October 23, 2007 at 22:00.
Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 22:30   #67
Bandobras
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 688
Bandobras is on a distinguished road
It compiles OK on my linux box. Could you remove the source files (mangled with ./configure, I suspect) and unpack and compile them again? If it fails, could you get new sources directly from SVN and try again?
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 23:20   #68
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 42
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav View Post
There's where my inexperience shows. I knew it had to be something easy like that.
It's compiling now.

Thank you

[edit]
it died
I've uploaded a newer version of the source archive which includes the files that should hopefully support the compile.txt advice.

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2007, 04:13   #69
Kav
Scout
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
Kav is on a distinguished road
when trying to ./configure
configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.. ./../..

However this time when I ran make -f Makefile.std it compiled successfully. It will only run if I am in the top directory with lib and src in it.

Unfortunately it's to late for me to play any right now. I'll try it tomorrow
Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2007, 05:52   #70
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 42
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav View Post
when trying to ./configure
configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.. ./../..

However this time when I ran make -f Makefile.std it compiled successfully. It will only run if I am in the top directory with lib and src in it.

Unfortunately it's to late for me to play any right now. I'll try it tomorrow
I've uploaded a newer version of the source archive which includes the files that should hopefully support the compile.txt advice.

(Is there an echo in here?)

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone playing V nightlies or compiling from SVN takkaria Vanilla 18 August 7, 2007 19:55


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.