Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 1, 2010, 21:34   #61
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I think the problem here isn't so much the buying prices for items, but rather the selling prices, which are still a constant multiplier of the buying price (something like selling price = .5 buying price). IMO the relationship shouldn't be linear; it should be something more like selling price = (buying price)^.8, so that armor that you can buy for 18k AU you can only sell for 2536 AU. On the flipside, a mildly enchanted dagger, buying price 1800 AU, would sell for 401 AU.

EDIT: the relationship doesn't have to be nonlinear, but it certainly should not be so favorable to the player. Simply going with selling price = .1 * buying price might do the trick.
Actually the problem is that I doubled the granularity of the power scale some time ago, without noticing that suddenly everything was worth/cost four times as much.

Ooops. Sorry folks. While I don't think it's sensible to make a binding pledge to prevent the impact of an enchant scroll adding more than 100gp to item value (better to increase the price of enchant scrolls IMO), I will happily cut the prices by four and see if things come slightly back to normal.

That said, I fully support the idea that the relationship between buying price and selling price should be both nonlinear *and* less favourable to the player. At the moment my high-CHA high-elves end up buying and selling at the same price.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010, 21:56   #62
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I would rather not have the game try to send data over the internet, but I'd be fine with it generated data dumps that could be shared on the forum for data collection purposes. You could also scan the ladder and get a rough idea of who's using what at which character and depth levels (for standarts only, of course).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010, 22:24   #63
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I would rather not have the game try to send data over the internet, but I'd be fine with it generated data dumps that could be shared on the forum for data collection purposes. You could also scan the ladder and get a rough idea of who's using what at which character and depth levels (for standarts only, of course).
I was half joking about calling home. I suppose I could add some summary stats on randarts to the end of a char dump, and get Pav to harvest them from the ladder for me ...
Old September 2, 2010, 05:50   #64
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
That makes no sense to me. The artificers don't use ?+dam to create objects. They use something much more efficient capable of creating e.g. plusses in the 20s without too much trouble, given the number one finds in a typical game.
Lost Technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Anyway, take a stand on the underlying problem. Do you think a random good weapon found at DL24 where I think I found that one, say +5+5, should sell for thousands or for hundreds?
The benchmark I prefer to use is Rod of Frost Bolts, as _Teleport is already suicidal for my playstyle at DL15.

For my playstyle, I think ~50 random good weapons (at DL24) should sell for enough gold to purchase 1 Rod of Frost Bolts.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2010, 14:59   #65
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Magnate I think having the game generate the information you are looking for and save it to a file would be good. Then there could be a prompt at death "Send info to Magnate?" Answer yes and it sends it along to you.
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2010, 15:37   #66
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy View Post
Magnate I think having the game generate the information you are looking for and save it to a file would be good. Then there could be a prompt at death "Send info to Magnate?" Answer yes and it sends it along to you.
That would certainly cut out the middle man and remove the hassle of harvesting info from dumps - but it would be pretty painful to code for Windows users I think. I might try a simple sendmail invocation to see if I can get it working for *nix platforms and go from there.
Old September 3, 2010, 22:45   #67
Zababa
Apprentice

Zababa is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

1. Fix behavior on big screens. Currently it is impossible to play with a window big enough to display the full level map, the game window must be at least one tile smaller.
2. Make an in-built game recorder and player of recorded games. Great would be the possibility to export a game replay to a HD video format (e.g. MPEG4/H264)
Zababa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010, 02:18   #68
grassy
Rookie

grassy is on a distinguished road
In addition to total moves in a game include actual time (days,hours,mins,secs) played.
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010, 03:15   #69
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Something kind of Death Curse (like in Z and ToME). That is kill some (possibly harmless) unique or monster, and get a Black Reavers or a GWoP.

Also, more non-unique monsters past 3800'.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2010, 16:00   #70
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Still playing 3.1.2v2, so maybe some of this has been tweaked by now, but anyway...

I'd like to see context sensitive weight info when you examine a piece of armour (similar to the combat info you get with weapons) that tells you the max weight of armour you can wear and whether swapping this piece in will make you encumbered.

Similarly, I'd like it if the info screens for armour and weapons that are class-prohibited or too heavy told you exactly what the penalty is for wielding them, like a line saying, "Wielding this item causes a 10 point reduction in mana and -5% to your casting success rate," or whatever. It would be a useful reminder for newbies, plus help more experienced players make an informed choice whether to risk it.

It would also be handy if the combat details for weapons listed what slays you've found out a particular weapon DOESN'T have. Maybe the "does X damage against Monster Type, standard damage against others" line could be expanded so that instead of just saying "others" it's updated to "standard damage against animals, orcs, and others", etc. each time you attack a new monster type.

I'd also love it if each race and class was given its own quirky little ability like the dwarf treasure sense and gnomes ID-ing wands and staffs. Not necessarily anything very useful, just fun things that make it more interesting to mix and match different character combinations. Say if hobbits auto-ID mushrooms, Dunedan ID crowns, half-orcs can recognise when a weapon has Slay Orc... while at the same time, maybe mages auto-ID scrolls, rogues know all the details of artefacts as soon as they pick them up, rangers do the same with missile weapons, and so on. That way, each possible combo has its own unique traits to make it a different experience playing a hobbit rogue vs. a hobbit ranger vs. a Dunedan mage, etc.

And I'd like to see scrolls and especially spells of "Satisfy Hunger" removed, and the number and usefulness of mushrooms/food types with interesting effects beefed up. Have a wider variety of more common foods that replenish HP/Mana, cure effects, grant temporary resistances, restore stats, etc., and then it becomes an inventory management issue of what type is best to carry instead of just eating standard rations not to die.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote