Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old February 20, 2011, 20:26   #1
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Announce NPPAngband 0.5.2 (final) released

This is mostly a release to fix about 10 bugs, the most prominent of which were that the disturb_near option and probing were broken.

Here are the links:

source:
http://download.nppangband.org/npp-0.5.2-src.zip

Windows executable:
http://download.nppangband.org/npp-0.5.2-win.zip

Here is a complete changelist:

Added a flag to monster_type "project" to indicate when the monster is in projectable los to the player.
Fixed a typo in the message when the player gets their constitution drained by a GF_TIME attack.
Fixed a bug causing memory leak when a savefile is loaded.
Fixed a bug that caused probing not to work.
Fixed a bug that prevented the disturb_near option from working.
Changed monster AI so monsters will have the option to breathe when the player is in line of sight. Previously they
only breathed with clear LOS and with no other monsters in the way.
Reduced the amount monster breaths dissipate with distance. 100% damage now goes out about 8 squares (instead of 5),
and it dissipates at a lower rate. 20 squares away, the damage is around 40% and was previously around 25%.
Added checks to reduce or eliminate splash damage from monster breaths and ball spells for uniques, quest monsters,
monsters of the same race, or of the similar race, or for monsters who breathe the same types of breaths.
Slightly changed how monsters handle being attacked when damaged by the player when the
player is out of LOS.
Made changes to the makefiles to make it easier to compile for MAC.
Added a routine that ensures there are always enough monsters on a themed level quest.
Added project files for MS Visual C++ Express (Created by Brian Bull)
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011, 06:46   #2
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
What does the handling of being attacked out of LOS mean? I'm thinking maybe tries to cast spell, if the player is impossible to damage, wait up? That means you would see quylthulgs very nasty, and since NPP has 4GAI or whatever the AI is, would it mean it could also ball spell you?
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011, 14:01   #3
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
What does the handling of being attacked out of LOS mean? I'm thinking maybe tries to cast spell, if the player is impossible to damage, wait up? That means you would see quylthulgs very nasty, and since NPP has 4GAI or whatever the AI is, would it mean it could also ball spell you?
When the player is out of line of sight, standard 4gai allows the monster to heal, cure, teleport to or away.

In NPP, when the player is out of LOS, monsters who cast ball spells will try to cast one at a square next to a player if they can (for example, if the player is pillar-dancing the monster), to hit the player with splash damage.

The change in 0.5.2 is, previously they would only go for splash damage if the target square next to the player was empty. Now they don't care if another monster gets hurt, they just want to damage the player. Monsters of a similar race, uniques, quest monsters don't take any damage, and similar monsters (such as a 7 headed hydra hydra getting caught in a ball spell breath from a 12 headed hydra hydra) take greatly reduced damage.
Old March 13, 2011, 06:39   #4
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
NPP 5.2.

Hey honey, I found the stairs, all of them. Might need to tweak the 4GAI stair placement.

Also, unrelated, I can't be certain, but I'm sure that some snagas, though asleep (or possible awake but out of LOS), were taking note of my cunning ways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NPP stairs.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	618  

Last edited by buzzkill; March 13, 2011 at 17:59.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011, 07:15   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Yep, that seems to happen a lot in NPP. It likes certain kinds of wall arrangements for its stairs, and that particular room type is chock-full of 'em, so lots of stairs end up there.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011, 16:16   #6
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
I don't look that often, but so far when I look at coins, real money descriptions include a numeric value and mimic descriptions do not.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2011, 12:34   #7
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I've got 2 (minor) 'problems' with NPP.

1. Picking stuff up off the ground (get) seems to take a full turn, which breaks tradition with every other variant I've ever played. Also, get doesn't pick up GP that your standing on. Must use rest (5) for that.

2. Rooms full of stairs. If it's not a feature, then it's a bug. I can't tell you the number of times I encountered 6 or more staircase in a room, and I've only played about 30 dungeon levels of NPP, ever. It was quirky the first time or two, now it just annoys me for some unknown reason. Other 4GAI variants IIRC don't have this problem. Would it be possible to simply put a hard limit on the number of staircases that can appear in one room, like 2, 1 up and 1 down.
Old March 24, 2011, 13:07   #8
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I've got 2 (minor) 'problems' with NPP.

1. Picking stuff up off the ground (get) seems to take a full turn, which breaks tradition with every other variant I've ever played. Also, get doesn't pick up GP that your standing on. Must use rest (5) for that.
GP? What does that stand for?

As for energy use, I will check & make sure it is consistent with vanilla.

Quote:
2. Rooms full of stairs. If it's not a feature, then it's a bug. I can't tell you the number of times I encountered 6 or more staircase in a room, and I've only played about 30 dungeon levels of NPP, ever. It was quirky the first time or two, now it just annoys me for some unknown reason. Other 4GAI variants IIRC don't have this problem. Would it be possible to simply put a hard limit on the number of staircases that can appear in one room, like 2, 1 up and 1 down.
That is an attempt to place the player in a safe spot where they can detect when they enter a new level. Stairs are put on squares that are surrounded by three walls. Unfortunately, those pillar rooms are loaded with squares like that, and they aren't safe. My ideal is for all stairs to be at the end of a corridor, right by a corner so there are 2-3 squares in LOS, tops. But it isn't there yet. I have this issue on my to-do list.
Old March 24, 2011, 14:16   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
GP stands for AU.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2011, 16:52   #10
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think (get) worked for gold in 3.2, but stopped working for gold in some nightly. I haven't checked so it may have been fixed since. NPP may be *too* up to date.

Code:
diff --git a/src/cmd1.c b/src/cmd1.c
index 515a5fd..3563a58 100644
--- a/src/cmd1.c
+++ b/src/cmd1.c
@@ -471,6 +471,9 @@ byte py_pickup(int pickup)
        /* Objects picked up.  Used to determine time cost of command. */
        byte objs_picked_up = 0;

+       /* always get gold without energy cost */
+       py_pickup_gold();
+
        /* Nothing else to pick up -- return */
        if (!cave->o_idx[py][px]) return objs_picked_up;
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote