Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 25, 2008, 16:06   #11
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Accuracy ring is worthless, so free up that home lot. +4 speed ring is not much either, I'd replace it in an eye wink if any cooler ring comes by. Maybe even with that +3 CON you have, dunno how much HP that will net ya.

BTW cool report, enjoyed reading it.
Old February 25, 2008, 16:39   #12
roustk
Adept

roustk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
Accuracy ring is worthless, so free up that home lot. +4 speed ring is not much either, I'd replace it in an eye wink if any cooler ring comes by. Maybe even with that +3 CON you have, dunno how much HP that will net ya.
If memory serves, HP bonuses from CON amount to:
* 1/4 HP/level at CON 14.
* 1/4 HP/level per point for each of the 10 points from 15 to 18/60.
* 1/2 HP/level per point for each of the 10 points from 18/70 to 18/160.
* 1 HP/level per point for 18/170, 18/180, 18/190.
* 1.5 HP/level for 18/200.

So, for the character here, level 30 with about 18/130 CON, the +3 CON ring will net only 45 HP. A +5 ring would make single-resist element breaths survivable (with 543 HP). Even a +4 ring would get 75 HP.

A couple of levels (1d14 + 6.5 points each, for HighElf Ranger at 18/130) and a few CON potions will put this character over 550 HP easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
BTW cool report, enjoyed reading it.
Agreed.

Kevin
roustk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2008, 05:20   #13
Macavenger
Rookie

Macavenger is on a distinguished road
Got down to 2150' in one dive last night, which is pretty good progress for me, especially around this level - I rarely go more than a level or two without popping back up to town. Killed Medusa, Gorlim, and maybe another unique or two that I forget. Picked up a couple things that went native at 2000' that are making things a bit more interesting now.

Resistances of Scarabtarices showed up on the floor at 2000', which is making AMHD and the like much less scary. First time I can recall not finding it before it came into depth.

The really interesting items though are an =rPoison, and a cloak of Aman with Chaos resistance. Using the =Poison and swapping my cloak and chest piece around a bit, I can now cover any 2 of rChaos, rShards, and rSound, along with every other resist except rNether. However, doing that gets me only ~475 hp. If I instead stick with Caspanion for rPoison, freeing up the ring slot for my =Con+3, I can get up to ~575 hp while covering everything except Sound, Nether, and shards/chaos (depending on which cloak I use). I've got this setup posted in my updated dump.

I'm guessing the 100 extra hp is probably well worth giving up rSound for, despite it being useful against the gravity and vibration hounds and such I run into a lot at these depths?

Also, as far as the three resistances I'm choosing between here, am I correct in thinking that for around 2200', all else being equal, rSound > rShards > rChaos? I know rChaos is supposed to become quite important at later depths, but I haven't seen any real need for it thus far.

Should I be using my Amulet of the Magi? I've got all its resistances and such covered on other gear which I'm wearing for multiple reasons, so it basically comes down to Regeneration against 3 int. All my critical escape spells and such are 5% fail either way, so it's basically giving me 9% lower fail on things like haste and resistance, against Regeneration, which I'm quite liking so far.

Is it worth sinking a bunch of scrolls into Calris to break the curse and make it usable? I've read that it's a good endgame weapon in many cases, but it seems like the main reasons would be rDisenchant and the *slay* Dragon, where I already have rDisenchant on Anduril and would rather be shooting dragons most of the time.
Macavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2008, 06:50   #14
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
I'm not experienced enough at those depths to give advice on the other stuff, but definetly keep regeneration.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2008, 07:32   #15
Pete Mack
Veteran

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
AoMagi vs AoRegen is a matter of taste. It depends on how reliably you can cast your buffing spells without running out of mana.

If you can reliably cast Resistance, Haste Self, and Shield (in melee), that's really all you need. After you find Tenser's, you will want Heroism and Berserk spells as well. In any case, hang on to Magi for rConf. It is occasionally useful. And congrats for moving so fast. At the rate you are going, you should have the game beat in little time. (The hardest part usually is getting to Speed Ring depth.)

As for importance of other resistances, I rate RSound as a bit higher than RChaos, then RNether, then RShards. At the depth you are, RShards is more important.

Maximum breath damage damage:
Fire, Cold, Lightning = 1600 (w/ resist, 433; w double resist, 144)
Acid = 1600 (w/o armor in all slots: see Fire, Cold, Lightning. w/armor: see Poison)
Poison = 800 (w/ resist, 266; w/ double resist: 88)
Nether = 550
Sound, Chaos, Disenchant, Shards = 500
Light, Dark, Confusion, Nexus = 400 (I thought Light, Dark, Conf were 450???)

All else: 150 or 200
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2008, 05:56   #16
Macavenger
Rookie

Macavenger is on a distinguished road
Found time to take a couple more dives with this character, down to 2650' now, well into uncharted territory as far as I'm concerned. Finished off my last dive by clearing a small vault that Ar-pharazon, Shelob, and the Laernaean Hydra in it, which felt pretty good. Branded ammo is starting to show up semi-regularly at this depth, which is helping a ton.

The newbie guide lists 2700' as a key depth for rNether and rChaos. How critical are these really? I've still yet to see anything with rNether. I have over 750 hp now, so I should be safe from being killed in a single breath as long as I'm paying attention. Should I just keep going deeper and stay alert? Switch cloaks to trade rShards for rChaos? I don't feel like I'm having significant problems at my current depth, so I assume going deeper is probably the right move; I'm just a bit nervous since I'm now 400' deeper than I've ever seen before, and don't want to lose this character to something stupid. I could cover a couple more resists or get my unhasted speed up to +11 with a couple wacky gear arrangements, but both of those involve less than 600 hp again, which seems like a bad idea.

On an amusing note, despite being more than halfway down, Maggot and Mughash are both still alive. I haven't seen either all game.
Macavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2008, 11:14   #17
Garrie
Adept

Garrie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavenger View Post
On an amusing note, despite being more than halfway down, Maggot and Mughash are both still alive. I haven't seen either all game.
LOL, I love it when I can kill Maggot or some other DL< 5 unique in 1-2 rounds...
Garrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2008, 12:55   #18
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
I try not to kill Maggot but sometimes it happens accidently later in the game when my hero rushes through the town. ^^
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote