Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

Old December 11, 2011, 01:58   #101
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I would like rods/staves of curing to have 100% success rates regardless of confused. Of course...this would be a special case and problematic in its own right.
What if they were made very low level items (DL1), but extremely rare. Wouldn't then even warriors would be able to use them with a good/great chance of success even while confused, especially by the time such things mattered. Maybe not 100%, but much better, and no special casing involved.
Old December 11, 2011, 02:08   #102
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Magnate, I think you definitely overshot on the last update where you made affixes more common.

two items that I found on dlevel 40:

golden ball and chain of slay evil: 2d4 +11, +7, +2 wisdom, tunneling, +1 light, slays evil, protection from fear. (this is artifact quality) found in a cavern

hard cap of telepathy: +1 infravision, resist blind, regeneration, telepathy. (also artifact quality) dropped by a master rogue.

edit: In the BM power dragon kite shield of protection (+9, +9) [11 +22]. unfortunately it costs 20x more money than I have.

Last edited by fizzix; December 11, 2011 at 02:22.
Old December 11, 2011, 02:11   #103
Zyphyr
Adept

Zyphyr is on a distinguished road
For some reason Rings of Escaping have shot up massively in value. Previously the sold to the magic shop for the somewhat absurd price of a bit over 4000. Now they are around 12500.
Old December 11, 2011, 02:26   #104
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
That'd be because Magnate made speed much more expensive after people complained that it was too easy to buy speed items. I'm not sure what the solution is here; perhaps Escaping and Teleport items should be considered "bad" items (due to the panic / random-teleport aspects) and thus unsalable? Is that even possible?

Buzzkill: AIUI item level is now disconnected from allocation, so you could indeed make Rods of Curing a level-1 item that nonetheless isn't generated until level 20 (or whatever). However, your failure rate is currently capped between 1% and 75% (that is, your chance of success is always between 25% at worst and 99% at best). Also, your device skill is temporarily modified by heavy stun, stun, bless, heroism, berserker, fear, confusion, amnesia, poison, and hallucination; all of these have multiplicative values (being confused has the worst impact, reducing device skill to 75% of what it otherwise would be). Given that, I suspect that even if you removed the 1% minimum failure rate you'd still end up with situations in which you couldn't reliably zap a Rod of Curing / use a Staff of Curing.

Last edited by Derakon; December 11, 2011 at 02:45.
Old December 11, 2011, 04:23   #105
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Buzzkill: AIUI item level is now disconnected from allocation, so you could indeed make Rods of Curing a level-1 item that nonetheless isn't generated until level 20 (or whatever). However, your failure rate is currently capped between 1% and 75% (that is, your chance of success is always between 25% at worst and 99% at best). Also, your device skill is temporarily modified by heavy stun, stun, bless, heroism, berserker, fear, confusion, amnesia, poison, and hallucination; all of these have multiplicative values (being confused has the worst impact, reducing device skill to 75% of what it otherwise would be). Given that, I suspect that even if you removed the 1% minimum failure rate you'd still end up with situations in which you couldn't reliably zap a Rod of Curing / use a Staff of Curing.
There was a suggestion a while back on the dev-channel to make potions fallible. You would have a fumble chance that would increase if afraid or confused. I didn't like this idea, and no one has implemented it yet. In this way, the rods could be made to be more reliable than a potion.

Personally, I like the idea of one-use items being failsafe. The drawback for the items is the availability.
Old December 11, 2011, 16:16   #106
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Rune-based ID still seems to be slightly buggy:

Currently, when you have multiple pieces of equipment with the same unknown rune, learning it on one doesn't update the ID info for the others. So, for instance, if both your weapon and some arrows in your quiver have the rune "feol" and you learn by using the weapon that "feol" = "silver", the arrows will continue to list "feol" as an unknown rune unless you drop them and pick them up again.

Also, when you learn an obvious stat boost by wielding an item, the associated rune fails to change from unknown to identified on the Inspect screen. (EDIT: actually, this doesn't seem to happen all the time: just found a weapon with the Strength affix that ID'd fine on wielding. I initially noticed the issue with a Cap of Beauty, so possibly the problem is to do with 'extra' runes that are added as part of a theme rather than as standard affixes?)

Last edited by Nomad; December 11, 2011 at 16:37.
Old December 11, 2011, 17:05   #107
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Rune-based ID still seems to be slightly buggy:

Currently, when you have multiple pieces of equipment with the same unknown rune, learning it on one doesn't update the ID info for the others. So, for instance, if both your weapon and some arrows in your quiver have the rune "feol" and you learn by using the weapon that "feol" = "silver", the arrows will continue to list "feol" as an unknown rune unless you drop them and pick them up again.
That's a good catch, thank you. Checking for ID of other items when you learn a rune on one is specific to rune-based ID, but shouldn't be hard to implement. Ticket #1595.
Quote:
Also, when you learn an obvious stat boost by wielding an item, the associated rune fails to change from unknown to identified on the Inspect screen. (EDIT: actually, this doesn't seem to happen all the time: just found a weapon with the Strength affix that ID'd fine on wielding. I initially noticed the issue with a Cap of Beauty, so possibly the problem is to do with 'extra' runes that are added as part of a theme rather than as standard affixes?)
IIRC Beauty is also a standard affix ... but yes there are issues with obviousness. As I said in another thread, my view is that the whole concept of 'splendid' needs re-thinking, but I haven't got much further than that yet.
Old December 11, 2011, 17:22   #108
Nomad
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
IIRC Beauty is also a standard affix ... but yes there are issues with obviousness.
Ah, true; in that case, I think it's probably just the fact that Beauty is made up of two runes and I only learned one of them, which wasn't enough to trigger an update to the Inspect info. So the fix for #1595 will probably fix this too.
Old December 11, 2011, 20:51   #109
Nomad
Knight

I think I'm going to have to agree with fizzix that the pendulum has probably swung back a little bit too far when it comes to affix availability. My current character is at 350' and already contemplating whether it wouldn't be more profitable to just give up on the whole Morgoth thing and go back to town to set up a business selling ego cloaks. (I have two cloaks of Shielding, one cloak of Stealth +3, and one cloak of Shielding and Stealth +2.)
Old December 12, 2011, 01:03   #110
fizzix
Prophet

More thoughts.

* Damage on weapons seem about right, but other affixes are a bit too common. Damage and accuracy on bows are a bit too high as well.

* I agree with Derakon that unique drops generally suck, this is a problem.

* Certain affixes are too common. Specifically telepathy (two telepathy helms and an awesome telepathy weapon from a vault.) and slay evil. These should be rare. Acid brand and electricity brand should be rare as well.

* Getting through stat-gain is a pain. As this is essentially a requisite to gaining MB5, (which is a requisite for killing a good number of enemies) stat potions need to be more common. Some other solutions are possible. Currently, it's a real bear to progress further until you obtain the required number of !Con potions (I've found 1 so far, and 3 !toughness).

* I've run into the artifacts appearing in knowledge problem that Derakon has hit as well. I'm obsessively checking the knowledge screen to try and troubleshoot this.

Some ideas.

* I think the known runes and known properties should be relegated to a subscreen. The unknown runes should be, "this object has N unknown runes" to prevent the leaking of information.

* Identify should be rarer or only applicable to potions, wands, rods, staves and scrolls. All properties should be determined on sight. We need some sort of long-distance inspect.