AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 12, 2012, 22:13   #1
Joona
Rookie

Joona is on a distinguished road
[3.3.2]Crash on certain random artifact

Hi,

The Mac version seems to crash each and every time I try to equip an artifact katana 'Mithelvor' ("You were wielding Lucerne Hammer of Flame. flag is 3. kidx is 40." *CRASH*). It also crashes if I identify the artifact and try to look at what it does. It once did this before with another character and a completely different artifact but that time it did work the second time I tried the same level. (If the game crashes it doesn't save the game, you get to the same level by reloading and it seems that the monster drops are decided when the level is created).

Therefore, here's a copy of the save game if someone else wants to try it...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8365720/Pumbanen
Joona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012, 23:07   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
That's interesting. Flag 3 is WIS, I think, so my guess is that the randart generator has somehow generated an artifact with +0 WIS - it's crashing because it can't find a pval associated with the flag.

This shouldn't happen, and is the first time it's been reported in 3.3.2. I'll take a look at the save soon - you don't by any chance also have the randart.log file, do you?
Old March 13, 2012, 13:59   #3
Joona
Rookie

randart.log

For the life of me I can't remember at what point the randart.log is created. This one was created March 4, so it has been created a week before I started this specific game. It's been a while since I've really had to fiddle with these.

Also, I tried creating a spoiler file for the artifacts, that crashes too.

Last edited by Joona; March 13, 2012 at 14:10.
Old March 13, 2012, 18:34   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Thank you, that's very helpful (at least, if it's the log file for the same randart set!). I'll look at this tonight.
Old March 13, 2012, 19:44   #5
Joona
Rookie

I think it should be as I haven't started any new characters after the current one. But if there's some sort of info text on the creation of randarts, I could read it as I play pretty much exclusively with randarts.
Old March 13, 2012, 23:11   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Ok, I have to get to bed - just wanted to let you know that I've started work on this, but it's eluding me so far. There are at least two randarts in your set that are buggy - the katana you've found, and the one that crashes the spoiler. The randart.log file is for this game, but it claims that everything is fine - the randarts are created with valid pvals assigned. So something is going wrong when they're actually generated, which is very weird - especially as it applies to the fake randarts created for the spoiler. I'll keep working on it.
Old March 18, 2012, 08:00   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Ok, found it. The good news is that it's not a bug in the randart code. The bad news is that it's quite a nasty bug in the savefile loading code - I'm not quite sure why it hasn't affected more people - it could theoretically cause any randart game to crash after it's been saved once and reloaded, upon inspecting a newly-identified randart. This hasn't been reported in the six months since 3.3.2 was released (and this bug in fact was in 3.3.1 as well IIRC), so it's clearly affecting fewer games than that, though I don't understand why.

But the even better news is that it's already been fixed in 3.4-dev, because we don't save and load randart info any more, we just re-create them from the seed.