Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > v4

Old March 29, 2012, 15:43   #1
CunningGabe
Swordsman

CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
Randart Phial troubles

I just finished a randart game of v4 this morning, and decided to look through the randart log a bit. The first thing I noticed was that there had been some difficulty generating a randart Phial. Indeed, the randart log shows 200 tries to generate a Phial, and the one it finally kept had a too-high power rating (according to the log), with a min depth of 151! Needless to say, I never found this Phial.

In fact, though I found plenty of artifact weapons and body armor, the only other artifact I found was a set of gauntlets. But maybe I was just unlucky.
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2012, 23:41   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Interesting. I don't think I've heard of that happening before. I'll have to try some randart games in v4 and see if it's common. It's certainly possible to pick 200 too-expensive powers, as even a humble +1 STR is too good for the Phial, but it should be pretty rare.
Old March 30, 2012, 00:33   #3
CunningGabe
Swordsman

CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Interesting. I don't think I've heard of that happening before. I'll have to try some randart games in v4 and see if it's common. It's certainly possible to pick 200 too-expensive powers, as even a humble +1 STR is too good for the Phial, but it should be pretty rare.
Looking more closely at the randart log, it seems the problem was that every Phial generated had a pval of +4 instead of the real Phial's usual +2. As a result, the power from the light radius and no fuel alone usually pushed the power too high.
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012, 08:33   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningGabe View Post
Looking more closely at the randart log, it seems the problem was that every Phial generated had a pval of +4 instead of the real Phial's usual +2. As a result, the power from the light radius and no fuel alone usually pushed the power too high.
Ooops. I think I know why that's happening, and I think that bug might be in 3.4-dev as well. Will fix. Opened as #1636.