Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 30, 2012, 01:06   #1
runequester
Apprentice

runequester is on a distinguished road
Differences, Angband and Moria?

Just noticed that Kubuntu has Moria in it's repositories.

From what I gather, Angband was based off a derivative of Moria so... can someone fill me in a bit?

Is Moria worth checking out as well, and what is different about it, compared to Angband?
runequester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012, 01:56   #2
ghengiz
Adept

ghengiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runequester View Post
Just noticed that Kubuntu has Moria in it's repositories.

From what I gather, Angband was based off a derivative of Moria so... can someone fill me in a bit?

Is Moria worth checking out as well, and what is different about it, compared to Angband?
You can find a complete collection of the angband changelogs at rephial, so you can see what changed exactly since moria.
Essentially Angband has a lot more items, monsters, a more advanced inventory (in particular the squelch system)...and colors

Recently, with the release of v4, the combat system changed a lot.
You may be interested in some variant, too. Each one as something to offer (quests, town services, new races/classes, different combat systems and so on).
ghengiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012, 02:55   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Moria had versions with color, too.

Broadly speaking, Angband is Moria in Texas -- everything is bigger. The dungeon's only 50 levels in Moria, the level cap is 40 (but most people won by clvl 35 IIRC), there's no artifacts or superpowered ego-items (I think the best you could hope for was Resistance, Defender, or Holy Avenger), the monster list is shorter (and there's no unique monsters), the player's stats are lower, there's fewer spells in the spellbooks, et cetera...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012, 04:05   #4
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post

Broadly speaking, Angband is Moria in Texas -- everything is bigger. The dungeon's only 50 levels in Moria, the level cap is 40 (but most people won by clvl 35 IIRC), there's no artifacts or superpowered ego-items (I think the best you could hope for was Resistance, Defender, or Holy Avenger), the monster list is shorter (and there's no unique monsters), the player's stats are lower, there's fewer spells in the spellbooks, et cetera...
As a result, I also think Moria is probably the hardest roguelike i've ever played...
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012, 04:58   #5
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post

new Angband is Moria in Flordia where you go to take it easy.
Some variant that reallly has everything (ToME, Zangband, something like that) would be Moria in Texas.
That makes me think of Slash'em (super lotsa added stuff hack -extra magic).

One thing that isn't bigger in Texas: gas prices. gas prices tend to be lower (at least in my area) than most of the country.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012, 07:29   #6
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
new Angband is Moria in Flordia where you go to take it easy.
Some variant that reallly has everything (ToME, Zangband, something like that) would be Moria in Texas.
That makes me think of Slash'em (super lotsa added stuff hack -extra magic).

One thing that isn't bigger in Texas: gas prices. gas prices tend to be lower (at least in my area) than most of the country.
Hey, speaking of "games with less", have a look at this project - an attempt at vastly reducing the number of items, monsters, egos and artifacts in Angband while retaining the essence of the game.

The current download is here - may be buggy and is bound to be unbalanced - but may still be fun -

A.
Old March 30, 2012, 08:15   #7
ghengiz
Adept

ghengiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Hey, speaking of "games with less", have a look at this project - an attempt at vastly reducing the number of items, monsters, egos and artifacts in Angband while retaining the essence of the game.

The current download is here - may be buggy and is bound to be unbalanced - but may still be fun -

A.
+1, sometimes less is more
It's recommended if you essentially want to play moria with the modern angband UI, same number of dungeon levels (50), revamped monsters, items and spells lists (cutting the boring ones, and with a few additions and edits), fewer races and classes than angband (in a well-tought way).
ghengiz is offline   Reply With Quote