AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 18, 2012, 21:08   #11
NoSurrender
Scout

NoSurrender is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
This sounds a lot like my natural, intuitive approach to playing. I want to check out every nook and cranny of every level and kill everything, just because there's always the chance you'll find something really cool. It can be fun that way -- you put yourself in the character's shoes and take it all in, making the most of the experience. Every time I've won, I've either killed all the uniques or come just one or two short.
I'm not alone!

Quote:
I've actually been trying to change it up lately, though. Games can take forever if I play that way, for one thing, but mainly I'm starting to recognize the challenge -- and the beauty, I suppose -- of a game where I dive quickly, ride my luck a bit, and hope the right items are there when I need them.
I've tried to play this way, but I find it more challenging because I'm still thinking about what I might have missed on the last level instead of the pair of Dracoliches in front of me breathing nether.

Quote:
Anyway, I just wanted to say, "Hey! Look at that — there's some other nut out there who plays like I do." (I, too, have made spreadsheets detailing the resistances items in my house offer, for example, so that I can maximize my flexibility going forward.) So hi there, and good luck replenishing your supply of !healing and !*healing*.
Thanks. I'm up to a grand total of 1 Potion of *Healing* and 2 Potions of Healing. I'm equipped with Elessar and I have a Staff of Healing to help compensate... But potions can't be beat for that 0 failure rate.
NoSurrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012, 21:45   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSurrender View Post
I've tried to play this way, but I find it more challenging because I'm still thinking about what I might have missed on the last level instead of the pair of Dracoliches in front of me breathing nether.
I used to worry about that a lot -- I didn't want to miss anything, because after I left the level it would be gone forever. But then I realized that the chances of me finding an amazing item by clearing 100% of level X are basically identical to the chances of me finding an amazing item by clearing 50% each of levels X and X + 1 (or even just rerunning 50% of level X again). Sure, sometimes I'd miss out on something, but I could easily make up for that through greater throughput -- it takes less than half the time to explore the most interesting 50% of a level than it does to explore 100% of the level.

Which isn't to say that I'm calculating percentages as I play; more that I usually don't poke into every nook and cranny. I won't say you're wrong for playing the way you do though. Whatever floats your boat.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012, 06:29   #13
NoSurrender
Scout

NoSurrender is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I used to worry about that a lot -- I didn't want to miss anything, because after I left the level it would be gone forever. But then I realized that the chances of me finding an amazing item by clearing 100% of level X are basically identical to the chances of me finding an amazing item by clearing 50% each of levels X and X + 1 (or even just rerunning 50% of level X again). Sure, sometimes I'd miss out on something, but I could easily make up for that through greater throughput -- it takes less than half the time to explore the most interesting 50% of a level than it does to explore 100% of the level.
Yes I'm aware that this is the case. And then in my case, the logical side of my brain and the irrational side get into a debate about it, and the next thing I know I'm looking at a grave stone. :/ When it doesn't matter that much, you can cave into the irrational and still remain an effective Angband player...
NoSurrender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.05, compacting, insanity, inventory, vanilla