Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old April 19, 2012, 12:31   #11
PowerWyrm
Knight

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Concerning display problems, I'm currently trying to fix the issue for both Win and SDL clients for my variant and it should be easy to port that to V. This involves removing the calls to Term_mark and actually redraw the tile just above and just below the current tile when it's a double-height tile.

Last edited by PowerWyrm; April 20, 2012 at 08:38.
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012, 12:55   #12
PowerWyrm
Knight

Wow I'm actually struggling with this... There are a ton of side issues when using double-height tiles apart from redrawing tiles and cursor. You need to check if a tile has a picture, if it's double-height, which tiles above and below need to be redrawn... and most important if there is text to redraw instead of pictures (for example when a tile is not mapped in the corresponding prf file and needs to be drawn as an ASCII symbol).
Old April 20, 2012, 22:42   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Wow I'm actually struggling with this... There are a ton of side issues when using double-height tiles apart from redrawing tiles and cursor. You need to check if a tile has a picture, if it's double-height, which tiles above and below need to be redrawn... and most important if there is text to redraw instead of pictures (for example when a tile is not mapped in the corresponding prf file and needs to be drawn as an ASCII symbol).
It might be easier to move away from the tiles-as-characters paradigm and implement z-canvas.c ... ;-)
Old April 23, 2012, 13:12   #14
PowerWyrm
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
It might be easier to move away from the tiles-as-characters paradigm and implement z-canvas.c ... ;-)
z-canvas.c? o_O

Anyway, I managed to fix all issues regarding double height tiles. I could post my resulting code (although it would be the code for my variant) if anyone is interested of fixing that for V...
Old May 3, 2012, 15:33   #15
PowerWyrm
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockbolt View Post
The tileset is complete, but I can't say if any new additions to creatures/items have been added to the game after the tileset was completed late in 2011.
I discovered while trying the latest nightly build that the tiles for half-elves PCs and some spell effects are missing (they are still mapped to the old DG tiles). Planning to add them in the future?
Old May 3, 2012, 17:34   #16
Shockbolt
Knight

Shockbolt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Shockbolt Send a message via Skype™ to Shockbolt
I understood that half-elves were to be dropped from Angband when I made the tileset, so I didn't spend time on painting them. Instead, use either the elf or the human tiles, the only difference would be pointy ears or not. Besides that, all spell effects should be there.
Old May 3, 2012, 18:05   #17
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockbolt View Post
I understood that half-elves were to be dropped from Angband when I made the tileset, so I didn't spend time on painting them. Instead, use either the elf or the human tiles, the only difference would be pointy ears or not. Besides that, all spell effects should be there.
The missing spell effects are likely to be incorrect mappings rather than absent tiles, surely? PowerWyrm - which effects were you thinking of?

Shockbolt is right that the plan was (and still is) to remove half-elves. This hasn't been mooted for 3.4, because the idea was to try more ambitious race changes in v4 first. Mapping to the Elf tiles sounds fine to me - after all, you don't play both in the same game.
Old May 3, 2012, 23:13   #18
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
I agree that mapping to elves is fine.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 12:57   #19
PowerWyrm
Knight

Looking at Tolkien's work, half elves only exist theoretically. Take for example Elrond and Elros. They were given the choice of rejoining either humans or elves, so Elrond can be considered as a full elf and Elros as a human. Then removing half elves sounds logical...

Concerning spell effects, every spell not mapped in the prf file is using the default mapping (0x81:0x80-3) which uses the old tiles. Same for light (0x81:0x9C-F), dark/nether (0x81:0xC7), water (0x81:0xBE + 0x81:0x94-7), plasma (0x81:0xC4 + 0x81:0xA8-B), cold (0x81:0xBF), shards (0x81:0xA8-B).