Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > v4

Old April 24, 2012, 04:06   #1
saarn
Adept

saarn is on a distinguished road
ammo doesn't combine correctly

I have a bunch of average arrows that I acquired at different times. They don't combine in my quiver or my pack, but continue to exist as separate stacks. Seems like I should have one stack of 51 arrows (1d7) rather than a stack of 11 and a stack of 40.

Also, as a minor point, it would be more convenient for the quiver slots to be 1->0 rather than 0->9 as this would match most keyboards ( 0 == "ten")
saarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012, 04:42   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The maximum stack size for any item is now 40 instead of 99. This only usually affects ammo, but it applies to all item types. The goal was to nerf the quiver, which was intended to make carrying small ammo stacks worthwhile, not to make you able to carry arbitrary amounts of ammo.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012, 06:18   #3
saarn
Adept

saarn is on a distinguished road
ok. There's some misleading help text in the shops that claims that up to 99 units of ammo can be combined into a single slot in the quiver. I guess that threw me for a loop.
saarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012, 08:01   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarn View Post
ok. There's some misleading help text in the shops that claims that up to 99 units of ammo can be combined into a single slot in the quiver. I guess that threw me for a loop.
Oooh, another good catch - thanks. That's in hints.txt.
Old May 26, 2012, 18:55   #5
Egavactip
Apprentice

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
How exactly is reducing the number of arrows in the quiver from 99 to 40 an improvement as opposed to a detriment to the game? That would seem to greatly hurt certain character classes by causing them to use up many equipment slots in order to have a decent number of arrows. It also greatly hurts a character's ability to use different ammo types depending on the circumstances.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 19:24   #6
Thraalbeast
Adept

Thraalbeast is on a distinguished road
The thing is it was very easy to kill S and M if you had 100s of holy might and slay evil arrows and excellent shooter. Btdt with a priest. Safest battle in game. Almost. I think 40 is a good amount. 99 is unreasonable
Thraalbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 19:55   #7
Egavactip
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbeast View Post
The thing is it was very easy to kill S and M if you had 100s of holy might and slay evil arrows and excellent shooter. Btdt with a priest. Safest battle in game. Almost. I think 40 is a good amount. 99 is unreasonable
That is an argument for making those items much more rare (or weaker), not an argument for changing the whole quiver system!!!
Old May 26, 2012, 22:09   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
How exactly is reducing the number of arrows in the quiver from 99 to 40 an improvement as opposed to a detriment to the game? That would seem to greatly hurt certain character classes by causing them to use up many equipment slots in order to have a decent number of arrows. It also greatly hurts a character's ability to use different ammo types depending on the circumstances.
Would you rather go back to the system we had before the quiver, when every stack of ammo used a full slot, no matter how many of them there were? The purpose of the quiver was to remove the penalty for using small stacks of ammo, not to completely remove the inventory pressure of carrying the stuff. The first version of the quiver (with the 99 ammo per slot used system) made inventory management completely trivial, which makes the game less interesting.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 01:48   #9
Egavactip
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Would you rather go back to the system we had before the quiver, when every stack of ammo used a full slot, no matter how many of them there were? The purpose of the quiver was to remove the penalty for using small stacks of ammo, not to completely remove the inventory pressure of carrying the stuff. The first version of the quiver (with the 99 ammo per slot used system) made inventory management completely trivial, which makes the game less interesting.
I'd rather keep the system currently in Vanilla, which works well, and I have not played any game of Vanilla in which that system made "inventory management trivial." Not by a long shot, given that by the end game, I am always pressed to have a single free slot. Basically, a 40-arrow quiver just means you won't be able to stay underground very long if you are dependent on missile weapons.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:56   #10
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
I'd rather keep the system currently in Vanilla, which works well, and I have not played any game of Vanilla in which that system made "inventory management trivial." Not by a long shot, given that by the end game, I am always pressed to have a single free slot. Basically, a 40-arrow quiver just means you won't be able to stay underground very long if you are dependent on missile weapons.
I'm afraid you're in a minority here. The widely held view is that the quiver currently in 3.3.x is far too generous. Stacks of 40 is an alternative to no quiver at all, which was the case for the first ~20 years of the game's life.