Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old April 12, 2011, 08:53   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Problem with "replacing" is that I need them to be removed, not replaced. That leads to overheating.
If you google for "fanless pc" there is no shortage of people selling them. You don't get much beyond about 1.6GHz but as you said, speed isn't everything. I'm going to get one to use as a media player in the lounge, as my wife has bat-like hearing so the only way a PC will be allowed out of my study is if it's fanless.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2011, 12:40   #12
Ycombinator
Adept

Ycombinator is on a distinguished road
Merging the themes of noise and keyboards: I have a classic Dell mechanical keyboard (AT101W), but given my nocturnal habits, housemates weren't happy about all that clicking noise. So I've bought an A4Tech keyboard, slim, island type with scissor switches. The design is basically a ripoff of Apple keyboard (the one shipped with the recent iMac), but it's USB-wired and has 100% standard PC layout: no multimedia keys and noncrippled navigation block.
Looks like the idea of keyboard with standard layout without bells and whistles is really hard to grasp for manufacturers these days. The lack of the 2x3 block is also why I can't stand most laptop keyboards except ThinkPads (Fn issue aside. I am used to it, but I understand why it bugs people). Why you can have it on 12" ThinkPad, but even 17" monsters has maimed keyboard is beyond me.
Ycombinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 06:51   #13
runequester
Apprentice

runequester is on a distinguished road
sorry for necro'ing this thread but the topic seemed interesting.

My PC keyboard is an IBM "model M". Heavy as all hell, basically indestructible, clicks loudly /every/ key you press...and playing rogue-likes on it feels amazing
runequester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 11:16   #14
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by runequester View Post
sorry for necro'ing this thread but the topic seemed interesting.

My PC keyboard is an IBM "model M". Heavy as all hell, basically indestructible, clicks loudly /every/ key you press...and playing rogue-likes on it feels amazing
That's the one discussed at the start of the thread. It's beautiful, and I can't see myself ever using anything else.
Old April 26, 2012, 16:33   #15
runequester
Apprentice

runequester is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
That's the one discussed at the start of the thread. It's beautiful, and I can't see myself ever using anything else.
yeah, I'm going to be sad when I have to replace the computer since most computers don't seem to have PS2 connectors any more.

I guess there's adapters you can get.
runequester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013, 05:21   #16
rhutson
Rookie

rhutson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Stats View Post
Does anyone have a favorite keyboard they use that seems especially suited to Angband? Suggestions, anyone?
Programmable keyboards like the Northgate Omnikey were top of the line for gaming until they stopped making them. Creative Vision Technologies subsequently offered two styles of Avant keyboards. I bought an Avant Stellar when my Omnikey suffered death by beer. But I just learned that the Avant keyboards are no longer being made. You can buy refurbished Omnikeys, Avants, and more here: http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/ (Obviously I didn't realize that someone could repair an Omnikey, but I am quite pleased with my Avant Stellar.)
rhutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013, 05:31   #17
rhutson
Rookie

Quote:
You are wielding an IBM Keyboard (1d6) (+1, +5)

Last edited by rhutson; July 24, 2013 at 07:31.
Old July 24, 2013, 05:34   #18
rhutson
Rookie

Quote:
most computers don't seem to have PS2 connectors any more. .... I guess there's adapters you can get.
Oh yes. AT->USB and PS/2->USB adapters exist and are in service.
Old July 24, 2013, 07:16   #19
Pete Mack
Veteran

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I use the "original" (rogue) keyset, so any keyboard is fine. I usually play on a removable-screen laptop. Sometimes I play in touch-screen mode.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013, 07:06   #20
rhutson
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
I use the "original" (rogue) keyset, so any keyboard is fine.
I wrote the initial version of the Angband macro code so that I could utilize the function keys of my outrageous keyboard in the game. I do not recall what brand of keyboard it was, but it had two rows of function keys above the normal layout and probably more on the left. I played Angband with my right hand on the numeric keypad while I manipulated function keys with my left hand. My macro code was UNIXish and hacky by my nature. Ben implemented more portable and reliable but slightly less functional code and added it to the official release of the game. I read in the FAQ that the macro code has been removed, so I'm not sure how useful function keys are in modern versions of the game on various platforms. I do see why the maintainers would prefer that I have a shell alias or script like "load_abkeys; angband; unload_abkeys" rather than having the macro code in the game. (That's easy to do with Linux, but I don't know how to swap out keymaps on a Mac with the same functionality: F1->maa, etc.)

Anyway, the IBM keyboard mentioned and the Avant Stellar are the best general keyboards I've ever used. (I'm surprised to find that my Gateway Anyway programmable keyboard is selling for more on eBay than I paid for it. It's not on the same class as an IBM or an Omnikey lineage keyboard.)