Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 26, 2012, 12:04   #11
Cold_Heart
Rookie

Cold_Heart is on a distinguished road
Dive to dlvl 10 asap, grind for basic xp/gear/gold.

Kill all uniques that spawn on these levels.

Go 5 levels deeper. Grind and hunt uniques until all are dead agin.

Go 5 levels deeper. Repeat until dlvl 98. Grind until have found all artifacts.

Dive to 100, win the game.
Cold_Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 12:24   #12
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
Playing Chengband (where the level feeling updates itself as monsters and treasure are generated), I just hit the stairs whenever the level feeling gets boring. If there's something interesting on the level, I sniff it out.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 13:02   #13
Gorbad
Apprentice

Gorbad is on a distinguished road
Dive at high speed, disconnected stairs.

- Take first down stair immediately
- Cast/Zap Detect stairs, and immediately go for it unless:
- Detect objects shows something interesting
- Detect monsters shows a pit of treasure dropping monsters

Only when I find that for the last few levels I've been doing nothing but Teleporting (myself or others) to safety do I slow down and do some up/down switching.
Gorbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 13:59   #14
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorbad View Post
Dive at high speed, disconnected stairs.

- Take first down stair immediately
- Cast/Zap Detect stairs, and immediately go for it unless:
- Detect objects shows something interesting
- Detect monsters shows a pit of treasure dropping monsters
This is pretty much what I do, which usually results in playing the early levels a little slowly (trying to search out unknown flavors), and then (once most flavors are discovered) diving far too quickly, which results in...

Quote:
... been doing nothing but Teleporting (myself or others) to safety do I slow down and do some up/down switching.
It sounds like a good plan, but ends up being kinda frustrating (since you're unable to kill anything) and cheesy (given the widespread availability of teleport other/teleport level).
Old April 26, 2012, 18:47   #15
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
It sounds like a good plan, but ends up being kinda frustrating (since you're unable to kill anything) and cheesy (given the widespread availability of teleport other/teleport level).
in 3.4 ?TL is much rarer (no more stacks in BM) and DD drops you down 5 levels after a delay, so it can't be used as an escape either.

Also unless you are playing mage or get lucky, you're not likely to find a source of TO until dlevel 40 or so at a reasonable diving speed. Then it does get easy to dive down to 99.

As far as the original question. I tend to do the following:

1) Find stairs
2) Kill any lucrative monsters on the way (i.e. dragons)
3) Pick up any objects nearby. Fuzzy detection in 3.4 has me going around for more objects than I otherwise would.
4) Go down stairs.

It's more efficient to get to the bottom quicker, but I've taken to going slower and enjoying the descent. Hanging around stat-gain to build up takes forever, so I don't bother with that, just plod steadily downwards and use =CON until you can bring the stat up.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 22:09   #16
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
I used to explore all of every level, then I discovered diving was more fun. Now I dive til it gets crazy then I die and start over, not really a winning strategy. Sometimes I play ironman so I don't feel bad about not taking any upstairs.
Old April 26, 2012, 22:57   #17
HugoTheGreat2011
Swordsman

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
For me, it depends on the variant. If it's Sil, I dive like a madman. If it's Chengband or ToME, I slow down a lot and take full opportunity to explore the levels.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012, 23:35   #18
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
In V and other single-dungeon variants, I take pretty much every down staircase I find, because the early levels are boring. Unfortunately (as described above) this usually gets me to a point at which I can't hurt anything, resulting in premature death (more often than not by quitting). Honestly I've yet to make it to the more interesting parts of V without save-scumming; I just can't be bothered to hang around and grind for XP, so none of my characters make it past level twenty-something.

(I might be able to break this pattern with a more powerful character, a Warrior perhaps. But I don't like the Warrior's lack of flexibility... Actually I don't much like any V class, but that's fuel for another topic.)

In T2, with its wilderness and quests, I have very different strategies...

- For melee characters, I usually run with Ironman rooms. I level up to ~level 20 in the swamps and mountains, then grab some supplies and hit the Barrow-downs, and look for GCVs and boss nests. My characters are lucky if they make it past dlevel 1 this way, but the ones who do usually become powerful enough to go straight off to the Sacred Land of Mountains (where they too usually die). They're very fun while they last though.

- For weaker characters, or ones that fight better with a bit of elbow room, I go with standard dungeons, small levels, and 98 random quests. I take Princess quests but generally skip Lost Sword ones unless they're not too annoying. By the time I get through the Downs, these characters usually have a ton of money and some impressive loot; and they tend to last a lot longer, since I hold off on the Land of Mountains and instead take town quests and wander about the more local dungeons... But eventually these guys also go to LoM, where the usually also die.

NB, this is probably why I've yet to win any *band legitimately.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012, 03:12   #19
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
For me it depends on how well I know the variant...the better I know it the quicker I dive. Asd long as I can at least detect what is around me and teleport anything away I'm fine. However sometimes things move faster than you and that has gotten me killed : )
Diving speed also depends on the gear that I have managed to find....better finds =quicker diving. Crappy drops equals slower dives. When I first started playing a few years ago I used to take forever to play and would grind endlessly. But that got boring and so I started diving more and more often.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012, 07:57   #20
Shockbolt
Knight

Shockbolt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Shockbolt Send a message via Skype™ to Shockbolt
I don't follow a particular pattern, instead I enjoy the discovery part of the game as I go along improving my player character. It's not that important to beat the game, but more important to have fun playing it.