Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > v4

Old April 29, 2012, 02:45   #51
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
We're still figuring out what reasonable numbers for absorption are. Initially the baseline absorption for all monsters was 1, which was really quite hard on young finesse characters (those values are now 0).

It sounds like the numbers need another pass. Feel free to go through and tweak them to what you think is reasonable.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012, 03:10   #52
saarn
Adept

saarn is on a distinguished road
I don't have a feel for how the mid - end game damage works yet, but I'm thinking that maybe capping armor at Dlvl /5 would work ok. Morgoth's armor is only 10, though Sauron's is 20. This would bring Uruk armor down to 4 which would still mean that a finesse character would do about half damage. You would still need some sort of magic or very good weapon to dent a Mature dragon (8 armor) or an ancient one (9). I can probably put this together by sometime tomorrow and we can see, but you're clearly a better player than I am, so if you see something that's going to break because of this (like maybe finesse characters start to do 20 per blow because of good egos around dlvl 50 and this would needlessly nerf deeper mobs) I'd love to know.

From some brief scanning, it looks like the most armored monster is Glaurung with 40 at Dlvl79. This would cap his armor at 20.
saarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012, 04:36   #53
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If I had better ideas of how the armor would work out, I'd probably have mentioned them already. It's a complicated issue that depends on a lot of factors, so it's just going to take some tweaking and playtesting.

Remember though that it's expected that finesse characters have trouble with certain opponents because of their high absorption. Just like my last prowess character was tearing his hair out every time he encountered phase spiders. So don't nerf everything. Particularly the golems should be borderline impossible to take down -- and if finesse characters react to uruks the same way prowess characters react to phase spiders, that's probably a good thing (that is, a doable, but difficult challenge).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012, 06:03   #54
saarn
Adept

rejiggered monster armor

I rebalanced the monsters based on the following:

in general, monsters should have no more than max(4,dlvl /4 armor)

golems may have dlvl/2 armor and must have at least dlvl/4 armor
people and humanoids must have at least dlvl/20 armor (no way anyone is hat
deep without some sort of armor).
dragons, giants, and trolls have dlvl/10 min armor or at least 3 (things like baby multi-hued dragons were unarmored which seemed whacky).

hill orcs are now tough but possible to kill with an epee, and I can kill about 1 uruk with a rapier before being in trouble at Clvl 13.

Clay golem takes a beating, but is killable, iron golem is totally untouchable which is how I remember him.
Attached Files
File Type: zip monster.zip (52.8 KB, 34 views)
Old April 29, 2012, 07:27   #55
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarn View Post
Epee is a bit more common and I believe they existed as actual dueling weapons for a while, so that could be a reasonable option.
Epee is perfect! One definition: "A rapier with a three-sided blade and a sharpened tip (when used in the sport of fencing, there is a guard over the tip)."

In Wikipedia it was called Épée, which looked a bit too fancy to me.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012, 22:28   #56
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Thanks for your efforts - I've pushed both your dice changes and your monster changes to v4 so that they can be tested more widely. It's just building now.
Old April 29, 2012, 23:15   #57
saarn
Adept

Cool! I have been playing for about 15 years and this is the first time I've been in the game :-).

I've played a few thieves as finesse fighters (low int/str, high dex/con) and at least for the first 20 dungeon levels things feel good to me. Depending on feedback I'd be happy to share the manipulation scripts I made. One thing I should point out is that I didn't touch artifacts, so they probably still need attention. I could port my dice balancing script to support the artifacts file, but I don't think I'm a good enough player to do the playtesting on them.

Edit: and I introduced a typo (grrr). Description for epee says "an etremely sharp point".

Last edited by saarn; April 29, 2012 at 23:40.
Old April 30, 2012, 03:44   #58
saarn
Adept

Wow, stuff gets very scary past DLVL30, almost like a step function.

I had FA, rShards, 4 basic resists, see invisible, a sweet artifact weapon (main gauche of Maedhros), staff of teleport, and I still got pounded at DLVL 35.

I don't remember things being that evil before. Yikes.