Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 29, 2012, 16:10   #11
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
I've been taking a break from playing roguelikes, but I like Oook's community and I like seeing how people's characters and projects are going. After playing *bands for a long time, I find the 100-level versions (and especially the wilderness versions) cumbersome, and I find myself interested in projects like Sil and Ironband. But I also enjoy having a very wide variety of monsters and items, which has kept me interested in Chengband. At the moment I'm not satisfied by any specific roguelikes, but I've always liked the genre and I find myself mulling over what my "ideal" roguelike would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
<flames>
So? Play whatever version you want. And if you don't like the forums, don't post.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012, 00:03   #12
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
As for what keeps me coming back to Angband...

I think it's mostly replay value. I do enjoy some games that focus on plot, but they eventually get boring. By ditching the story and focusing entirely on gameplay, Angband removes that problem. The experience is not the same as a game with a really good plot (of which I can name very few, BTW). But in Angband, you can play a game, die, take a break for a while... And then come back and play again, and it will be completely different.

Why Angband over other roguelikes?

Hard to say. It might mostly be a case of "Angband got there first so it's what I'm used to." OTOH, there's also the issue of keybindings; e.g. Nethack, last I tried it, required you to edit the keybindings manually if you didn't want the default set (complete with hjkl movement). Major pain in the neck, that. Also the build system was seriously unfriendly.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012, 17:07   #13
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
angband now has shitty little maintainers, a shitty little forum, and is a shitty little game. Congratulations, andrew and pavel. You took something a lot of people loved and turned it into a shitty little thing i can't bear to look at.

:/

Old April 30, 2012, 21:28   #14
Estie
Knight

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
As for what keeps me coming back to Angband...

I think it's mostly replay value. I do enjoy some games that focus on plot, but they eventually get boring. By ditching the story and focusing entirely on gameplay, Angband removes that problem. The experience is not the same as a game with a really good plot (of which I can name very few, BTW). But in Angband, you can play a game, die, take a break for a while... And then come back and play again, and it will be completely different.

Why Angband over other roguelikes?

Hard to say. It might mostly be a case of "Angband got there first so it's what I'm used to." OTOH, there's also the issue of keybindings; e.g. Nethack, last I tried it, required you to edit the keybindings manually if you didn't want the default set (complete with hjkl movement). Major pain in the neck, that. Also the build system was seriously unfriendly.
+1

While I am an admirer of good stories, re-playing story based games gets boring soon. I wonder, maybe theres a similarity: good story/good graphic ?
When it comes to replay-value, random <monsters, dungeon, and for me, artifacts> wins.

Other games have discovered the replay value of of random monsters and items; but random dungeons are rare, maybe because its hard to do in an interesting way.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012, 22:05   #15
runequester
Apprentice

runequester is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
+1

While I am an admirer of good stories, re-playing story based games gets boring soon. I wonder, maybe theres a similarity: good story/good graphic ?
When it comes to replay-value, random <monsters, dungeon, and for me, artifacts> wins.

Other games have discovered the replay value of of random monsters and items; but random dungeons are rare, maybe because its hard to do in an interesting way.
I think you have to be willing to accept that sometimes it won't be fair, and sometimes it won't make sense. In the end, it's worth it.
runequester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 02:34   #16
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Eh.. If you think Angband game logic doesn't make sense, check out some of the commercial stuff that's come out lately. Not naming any names, but by the standards of novels in the genre, a lot of SF and fantasy game plots are unbelievably, unselfconsciously bad.

(Mind, I'm just saying this because I'm an SF snob... As some of you have probably figured out from my username.)
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 03:26   #17
runequester
Apprentice

runequester is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah, video games tend to have notoriously poor stories and characters.
runequester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 04:42   #18
NoSurrender
Scout

NoSurrender is on a distinguished road
I think I keep getting drawn back into Angband by:

A. Never knowing what be around the next corner. Perhaps if I play one more level I'll find a Ring of Speed +20 or Ringil or PDSM (which I still have never found). All these possibilities engage my inner dreamer...

B. A great and relatively clean set of three overlapping optimization problems:
1) What to wear?
2) What to carry?
3) What to keep in the house?

I actually hated dealing with these problems until I started solving it in my spreadsheet. But now using the spreadsheet when solving these problems, I am at one with my inner geek.

I view Magic the Gathering as a set of optimization problems as well, and I love the challenge of engineering good, interesting, and original decks.
NoSurrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 23:23   #19
fruviad
Rookie

fruviad is on a distinguished road
In addition to everything that Malak wrote...

1. Hope? Whatever makes a golfer drag out the golf clubs every spring when they've played for decades without ever getting that hole-in-one they've always wanted? Same for me and Morgoth.

2. Reading "The Silmarillion" is a lot easier when you're recognizing names and places you've previously seen mentioned in Angband. (Admittedly, this is also an option with some variants. I'll get to them when I've taken care of Morgoth.)

3. Angband screenshots are a fun way of testing my OCR software at work.

4. Short answer: Addiction?

Long answer:

I started playing Angband (or something similar?) when I first started playing with Linux back in 1995. I started to get a feel for the UI, but stopped playing for reasons I don't recall.

A few years later I picked up Angband again, learned the UI better and dived deeper, but I soon found it consuming too much of my time. I forced myself to stop playing (I vaguely recall that required a lot of willpower.)

I forgot about Angband until I rebuilt my workstation a few years ago and was reinstalling software. My cube-mate and his friend had been talking incessantly about NetHack for months, so I added that to my list of things to install on Friday night after I got off work; I installed Angband as an afterthought. I continued to download apps for my newly-rebuilt workstation and I thought to myself "I only have a half-hour before dinner...maybe I'll look at NetHack after dinner and fire up Angband for just a few minutes."

I ended up playing Angband virtually every waking moment that weekend.

Today, NetHack sits ignored and lonely on my hard drive.
fruviad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 03:51   #20
Raxmei
Apprentice

Raxmei is on a distinguished road
I like the purity of Angband's dungeon crawl. No need to worry about quests, plot, or scheduled events. Here's the dungeon, go kill letters and loot punctuation until you win or die.

I got started in roguelikes playing Adom, which has quite a bit more features than Angband along with a remarkably rich plot and setting for a roguelike. I eventually got tired of Adom and never seriously got into Nethack, but I keep coming back to Angband. I specifically prefer V because it has the best interface and I find the single most common feature in variants to turn me off is a wilderness map.
Raxmei is offline   Reply With Quote