Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 4, 2012, 05:04   #21
saarn
Adept

saarn is on a distinguished road
Very similar to Fruviad. Angband is not just hard, it is amazingly hard. It punishes you mercilessly, but it rewards you too-- if you are good and you are lucky, you get cool items, beat scary monsters, steal their loot, and learn neat spells. Even when you get killed at DLVL10 by a white louse that ends up being thirty white lice that bite you and bite you and bite you and
-you are dead-
you can look forward to making it to level 12 next time and by golly you won't make the same mistake twice.

So yeah, permadeath, random dungeons, umber hulks, out of depth objects, monsters that you find out too late have paralysis, dying, and wondering how on earth anyone ever made it to DLVL90 relying entirely on devices for damage (no melee/shooting).
saarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 07:24   #22
Elsairon
Apprentice

Elsairon is on a distinguished road
Something I noticed during my last game (Just downloaded Vanilla 3.3.2).

The random dungeons, coupled with the goals of item collection and kit building for end game make Angband for me a game that easily produces a flow state.

I know what I need to do next, and I do not need to stop and think strategically about what to do next. This allows me to stay totally focused on the turn by turn tactical flow of the game.

Plus, while I'm playing my mind is translating the ascii on the screen into a full immersion dungeon crawl, where I see the character heroically bashing and blasting into the depths... kind of like reading a good book, except it's mostly non-stop action!

Thats why I like Angband.
Elsairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 11:39   #23
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsairon View Post
Something I noticed during my last game (Just downloaded Vanilla 3.3.2).

The random dungeons, coupled with the goals of item collection and kit building for end game make Angband for me a game that easily produces a flow state.

I know what I need to do next, and I do not need to stop and think strategically about what to do next. This allows me to stay totally focused on the turn by turn tactical flow of the game.

Plus, while I'm playing my mind is translating the ascii on the screen into a full immersion dungeon crawl, where I see the character heroically bashing and blasting into the depths... kind of like reading a good book, except it's mostly non-stop action!

Thats why I like Angband.
+1. That's exactly how I would describe my love for it too.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:27   #24
Feloniousmonk
Rookie

Feloniousmonk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
Angband's glory days are over. When I play it I play either 3.0.6 or earlier or a patch Eddie Grove made around that time that I like a lot.
Not for nothing but 3.0.6 is pretty clunky compared to how sleek the game is now. Of course, you're free to play whatever you want
Feloniousmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 14:40   #25
Feloniousmonk
Rookie

Feloniousmonk is on a distinguished road
Also, I love that I can play my own soundtrack.
Feloniousmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2012, 03:57   #26
Arphod
Scout

Arphod is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
my reasons....

1. I loved Moria growing up.
You said it all right there. I started playing Moria 5.0 on a VAX/VMS at Ball State University in 1989 in a 24-hour computer lab with a bunch of C coders who needed baths and social skills. Angband is simply Moria on 'roids, and I've won several versions over the years. I like to keep current-ish (just won 3.3.0) , and I keep various offerings around. It's a mood thing. My all-time favorite is 3.0.9b.
was H2SO4.

Last edited by Arphod; August 17, 2012 at 04:06.
Arphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2012, 00:39   #27
Zappa
Apprentice

Zappa is on a distinguished road
Moria was the first video game I ever played. I also use the apwborg screensaver so it has the effect of drawing me back into playing from time to time.
Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote