Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Oook!

Old May 3, 2012, 03:25   #1
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
removing characters from ladder

Is it possible to remove characters from the ladder? I have a few low level characters I wouldn't mind just wiping off my ladder.
Old May 4, 2012, 01:13   #2
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
I can do it manually, if you email me IDs. But generally, this wasn't requested before.
Old May 4, 2012, 01:19   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
I can do it manually, if you email me IDs. But generally, this wasn't requested before.
I think this would be a shame - a bit like massaging one's high-score table to get rid of the low scores that bring down the average!
Old May 4, 2012, 02:02   #4
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Is their an average? I afraid i dont understand that one, i was mearly looking at the fact that i myself has occasionaly uploaded a character that had a certain name i like to choose for my characters and cant use that name again for that version of game, i have never saw a high score average for my characters on the ladder, i dont understand why magnate you feel this is a shame. Perhaps i wanted to remove characters to not have such a long list on the page when i viewed my ladder page?
Old May 4, 2012, 03:28   #5
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I think this would be a shame - a bit like massaging one's high-score table to get rid of the low scores that bring down the average!
I had the same gut reaction. It's like erasing a tiny bit of documented history.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:19   #6
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Being that you generally choose what characters to upload anyway, I don't see the problem, with someone wanting to remove characters they've uploaded. The only thing I don't like about it is it's nice to get statistics of what monsters have killed people and you can get that from the savefiles of dead characters. But generally people don't upload low level characters anyway, so this is kind of useless.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 05:06   #7
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

I ask a simple question about something, and instead i have people putting their fingers in my face trying to accuse me of something, what gives? How would removing a few characters that i basicaly got bored with, felt like it was a mistake to upload them to begin with a bad thing? I call it clean up, you can call it whatever you like. But if its going to raisr a few eyebrows then forget it, i find the friendiness on this forum a little cold
Old May 4, 2012, 05:36   #8
Nick
FAangband maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
I was mearly looking at the fact that i myself has occasionaly uploaded a character that had a certain name i like to choose for my characters and cant use that name again for that version of game
I think if you use the same name it will just load over the previous dump (although all the comments will remain).
Old May 4, 2012, 08:29   #9
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
I ask a simple question about something, and instead i have people putting their fingers in my face trying to accuse me of something, what gives? How would removing a few characters that i basicaly got bored with, felt like it was a mistake to upload them to begin with a bad thing? I call it clean up, you can call it whatever you like. But if its going to raisr a few eyebrows then forget it, i find the friendiness on this forum a little cold
Sorry Malak, I didn't mean to be rude or start a flame-out. My comment was meant to be light-hearted, hence the pling at the end. I accept that the analogy with high scores isn't very strong - you're right that there is no average in Angband. Of course I don't want to spoil your enjoyment of the forum if you want to delete characters from the ladder - it really isn't a big deal at all. I was merely trying to show a little support for pav, who sometimes gets criticised if the forum lacks a certain feature (not that you were criticising him). This is one feature I'm relaxed that we don't have, that's all.

No hard feelings, I hope.
Old May 4, 2012, 18:14   #10
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Quote:
Sorry Malak, I didn't mean to be rude or start a flame-out. My comment was meant to be light-hearted, hence the pling at the end. I accept that the analogy with high scores isn't very strong - you're right that there is no average in Angband. Of course I don't want to spoil your enjoyment of the forum if you want to delete characters from the ladder - it really isn't a big deal at all. I was merely trying to show a little support for pav, who sometimes gets criticised if the forum lacks a certain feature (not that you were criticising him). This is one feature I'm relaxed that we don't have, that's all.

No hard feelings, I hope.
No harm done-magnate, there was a time or two i tried to upload a charcater to the ladder with same name and would tell me something like it was invalid due to the same name by me already on the ladder, it never overwritten for me. I apologize im a perfectionist when it comes to names.