Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > v4

Old April 30, 2012, 03:25   #1
saarn
Adept

saarn is on a distinguished road
problem with partial ID and sales price

If I've worn a ring of the mouse long enough to know its bonuses to dex and stealth, but not long enough to know the negatives to prowess, the shop uses the good bits that are partially ID'd in their valuation, so they offer over 2K instead of the normal ~80. I'm guessing this is a more general problem with valuation, probably tied to the logic that would handle things like rings of strength that could potentially have negative bonuses. In this case though, it is wide open to abuse since rings of the mouse will (almost?) always have a big negative.

One possible fix might be for the shopkeep to model the expected value of the item based on "generating" a few items of the same type with any known brands/egos filled in and then discounting the value.
saarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012, 03:39   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Perhaps the simplest solution is for shopkeepers to automatically know the full qualities of any equipment (i.e. non-drinkable/aimable/zapable/etc.) and base their price on that. I suspect the resulting knowledge leak is negligible.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012, 13:49   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Perhaps the simplest solution is for shopkeepers to automatically know the full qualities of any equipment (i.e. non-drinkable/aimable/zapable/etc.) and base their price on that. I suspect the resulting knowledge leak is negligible.
That was the original behaviour, and was changed because of the knowledge leaked. But now we no longer have cursed rings and so on, it could be worth reverting. Especially since no_selling will soon be the default *mwah ha ha*.
Old April 30, 2012, 16:21   #4
Estie
Knight

Estie is on a distinguished road
Awww...cheating those greedy shopkeepers of a couple Zorkmids is fun.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 22:15   #5
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Perhaps the simplest solution is for shopkeepers to automatically know the full qualities of any equipment [...] and base their price on that.
I almost agree: shopkeepers should offer a *lower* price based on their knowledge, but not a higher one. i.e. calculate a price based on what *you* know, and also based on what *they* know, and offer the lower of the two.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 22:19   #6
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis Send a message via Skype™ to ekolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
I almost agree: shopkeepers should offer a *lower* price based on their knowledge, but not a higher one. i.e. calculate a price based on what *you* know, and also based on what *they* know, and offer the lower of the two.
That would be perfect for those greedy bastard shopkeepers!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 22:47   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
I like it.
Old May 4, 2012, 23:06   #8
Zyphyr
Adept

Zyphyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Seems like the perfect solution to me.
Zyphyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 03:40   #9
saarn
Adept

saarn is on a distinguished road
you've still got the knowledge leak problem-- assuming that there's something like a ring of strength that sometimes has negative bonus and sometimes has positive, you could get a pretty strong hint about the value of the item.

What about having anything that is only partially ID'd sell at the lesser of price based on known properties and price if it were not at all ID'd? This assumes base prices are reasonable. . .
saarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:27   #10
Derakon
Prophet

The price of un-ID'd items is pretty universally terrible, so that wouldn't change much. There's very few items that are still worth more than 0 gold but less than the price of an un-ID'd item.

I'm not too worried about knowledge leak simply because the ID game is getting less and less complicated, by design. And even without that, abusing shopkeepers to get knowledge of your items is something of a time-honored tradition in roguelikes. Hell, price-ID is a major way to figure out what your jewelry does in NetHack...