Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2012, 01:41   #51
Nick
FAangband maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,322
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
like variants that allow the player to place specific orders
It's OK, you don't have to mention FAangband by name - I know what you meant.

And no, I don't ever get tired of doing this
__________________
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 02:39   #52
CliffStamp
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 64
CliffStamp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
What the stores stock, though, is an external attribute -- the stores don't inherently have anything to do with the player. Now, it's not impossible to create links, like variants that allow the player to place specific orders, but those links absolutely have to be explicit -- the store should not simply start magically stocking better stuff just because the player is stronger.
Well I would argue it would make sense that should happen if you are going to argue sense/logic. If I was a shop keeper and noticed that there was a dude in town who was getting richer and getting serious kit upgrades then I would start investing in heavy inventory and specifically asking them what they wanted and not stock junk they would not buy. Especially if I knew they had more money than they could spend and I could charge insane margins and they would still buy particular items.

But the game is filled with odd things which are not there because they make sense but because it enhances game play. Does it make any sense that you can kill a lowly snaga who is following an orc captain and he drops some great item which he should easily have been used to make himself king of all snagas. What about monsters who are holding on to junk but who are right next to extremely powerful items which they are ignoring for some reason. Or you kill a monster who is holding on to items which could have saved them or could have killed you if they used them?

While I appreciate an argument for realism, I don't think it should dominate actual game play and you really have to be consistent in application to apply it at all.
CliffStamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 10:02   #53
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,988
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffStamp View Post
That is very nice both in sensibility/logic as well as game play, how are you working that with squelch, could you squelch anything not +2 attacks for example?
You can currently squelch anything with +attacks, but you can't yet distinguish between +1 attack and +2attacks ("pval squelch"). That is the ultimate intention though, yes.

v4's ego items are completely different and much more random, so if you squelched +attacks, an item with +attacks would only be squelched if you had chosen to squelch all its other characteristics (or it didn't have any others). So for example if you had squelched SLAY_ORC but not BRAND_COLD, you would squelch a weapon with +attacks and SLAY_ORC but not one with +attacks and BRAND_COLD.
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 10:41   #54
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,988
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffStamp View Post
Well I would argue it would make sense that should happen if you are going to argue sense/logic. If I was a shop keeper and noticed that there was a dude in town who was getting richer and getting serious kit upgrades then I would start investing in heavy inventory and specifically asking them what they wanted and not stock junk they would not buy. Especially if I knew they had more money than they could spend and I could charge insane margins and they would still buy particular items.

But the game is filled with odd things which are not there because they make sense but because it enhances game play. Does it make any sense that you can kill a lowly snaga who is following an orc captain and he drops some great item which he should easily have been used to make himself king of all snagas. What about monsters who are holding on to junk but who are right next to extremely powerful items which they are ignoring for some reason. Or you kill a monster who is holding on to items which could have saved them or could have killed you if they used them?

While I appreciate an argument for realism, I don't think it should dominate actual game play and you really have to be consistent in application to apply it at all.
I think this is fair enough - your argument for storekeepers stocking better stuff as @ levels up works for me (at least as well as any other arguments in favour of stores stocking better stuff). I'd prefer that @ had to invest money in the stores as well, mind.

This would require some coding - at the very least an additional field in stores.txt giving a min clev at which things could be stocked (for consumables), and probably an additional field of magicness for wearables. This would work well in v4 because you could specify the number of affixes on an item to be stocked. With more sophistication you could even specify affixes (e.g. Mithril items).

This all presumes we stick with random stock though. Ordering specific items needs code from a variant that has this (I'm sure there is one, I just can't remember the name).
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 15:56   #55
CliffStamp
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 64
CliffStamp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
So for example if you had squelched SLAY_ORC but not BRAND_COLD, you would squelch a weapon with +attacks and SLAY_ORC but not one with +attacks and BRAND_COLD.
That is truly excellent.
CliffStamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 16:02   #56
CliffStamp
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 64
CliffStamp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I'd prefer that @ had to invest money in the stores as well, mind.
That is another way to use money, outside of pure ordering possibly investing directly. Or another way, the more you spend/sell there the more money they have to buy more objects so better items start stocking. This both makes sense and mechanically as well. It is a bit abusive scumming wise, but if you are willing to scum you can break almost any mechanic unless you hard code against it (i.e. monster level scales with cl, monsters generated scale with equip/power). Thus if you actually farm to get CL30 and full base R before DL 10, monsters are being generates at DL 11 with higher frequency of up to DL 60 and +base attacks. This though is really not how Angband proper ever was, it always allowed over levelling / munchkin behaviour if desired (auto roller).
CliffStamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 02:06   #57
saarn
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 112
saarn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffStamp View Post
Thus if you actually farm to get CL30 and full base R before DL 10, monsters are being generates at DL 11 with higher frequency of up to DL 60 and +base attacks. This though is really not how Angband proper ever was, it always allowed over levelling / munchkin behaviour if desired (auto roller).
couldn't you do a dual-limit on store stocking based not only on CLVL but either max dungeon level or average dungeon level? This would at least prevent grinding low depths until your endgame equipment shows up in the stores. Alternately, preventing items being brought in on order or for investment that the player hasn't already identified could provide some reasonable control.
saarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 03:29   #58
debo
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,362
debo is on a distinguished road
Alternately, everyone could just play Sil

plz no rage ~~~~


(that's actually pretty fun...)
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 17:46   #59
CliffStamp
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 64
CliffStamp is on a distinguished road
This is an example of what I am talking about :

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=8015

Note half a million gold but the final fight can not be completed without resorting to either extreme gameplay (multiple sea of runes). Now there was nothing stopping Pete from beetlejuicing to collect genocide/destruction but I don't see this as ideal game play as it is just repeated events until you strike the right random drop. One may would simple be to "deposit" items for use by future characters which could be quested for (random unique picked by the rng).
CliffStamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 18:49   #60
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 2,598
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffStamp View Post
This is an example of what I am talking about :

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=8015

Note half a million gold but the final fight can not be completed without resorting to either extreme gameplay (multiple sea of runes). Now there was nothing stopping Pete from beetlejuicing to collect genocide/destruction but I don't see this as ideal game play as it is just repeated events until you strike the right random drop. One may would simple be to "deposit" items for use by future characters which could be quested for (random unique picked by the rng).
The problem with this character is lack of PB9 which has banish evil and word of destruction. With those two you can handle summons fairly easily as a priest. Should those be available from the shops? History isn't displayed so I have no idea how many uniques were still around.

Unmaxed stats also seem to be an issue, and that's certainly something that may still need some more work, although it is different now than in 3.1.0
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hitting bottom with my Hobbit rogue Jay Vanilla 6 December 23, 2011 23:13
Baris, the Hobbit mage. Philip AAR 20 April 7, 2011 21:31
YAWP [V 3.2]: Sneak the High-Elf Rogue (my first rogue win ever) Max Stats AAR 0 January 7, 2011 04:01
Not so stupid death, but death nonetheless bron AAR 10 April 14, 2010 23:23
Hobbit Rogue - possible Winner or just a worthless try SaThaRiel Vanilla 24 March 1, 2010 00:42


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.