AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old June 1, 2012, 12:59   #41
PowerWyrm
Knight

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
It's just weird though. It feels like they finished the game in a real hurry. Acts I and II are both big - linear but interesting. Act III is a bit shorter, and Act IV is less than half the length. The final fight is a big anticlimax (either that or untwinked monks are as overpowered as d_m claims!).
What I liked in D2 was that all five acts were almost the same length, with act IV being a bit shorter and act III a bit longer (god I *hated* the jungle part ), and had variety. Clearly from what you say I'm gonna wait to buy the game, hoping they fix things a bit...
Old June 1, 2012, 16:41   #42
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
What I liked in D2 was that all five acts were almost the same length, with act IV being a bit shorter and act III a bit longer (god I *hated* the jungle part ), and had variety. Clearly from what you say I'm gonna wait to buy the game, hoping they fix things a bit...
Yes, this is the first game I've ever bought on release (or before, in fact), and I don't think I'll be doing it again. I didn't get D2 until LoD came out, at which point (I understand) it was vastly improved. Let's hope the same is true of the first D3 expansion.

This is also the first online-only game I've ever bought, and I won't be doing that again either. I don't like the feeling that I can play my game when and how Blizzard allows me; I'll be playing offline games in future.
Old June 9, 2012, 05:18   #43
chem
Adept

chem is on a distinguished road
Hardcore Inferno Butcher down! Even got the "Brief Butchering" achievement, doing it with a friend who had run it before (we're both monks and having 2 mantras was nice). It will be quite a while before I try to do anything in Act 2, but this was a satisfying evening.

achievements: http://i.imgur.com/sjegn.jpg
skllls: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...gYh!ZUX!bbaaca
gear/stats: http://i.imgur.com/ScbO3.jpg

I got dzhang to try hardcore and his first DH died, but he's rerolling a barb or DH.
chem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012, 06:05   #44
chem
Adept

chem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, this is the first game I've ever bought on release (or before, in fact), and I don't think I'll be doing it again. I didn't get D2 until LoD came out, at which point (I understand) it was vastly improved. Let's hope the same is true of the first D3 expansion.

This is also the first online-only game I've ever bought, and I won't be doing that again either. I don't like the feeling that I can play my game when and how Blizzard allows me; I'll be playing offline games in future.
I think you're being a bit too hard on the game. Blizzard has communicated early and often about changes they're planning in response to player feedback, some as soon as 1.0.3 (next patch). The game feels smooth and user-friendly compared to D2, and the skill combinations give tons of replayability (not to mention the gear).

I do agree that the patch downtimes have been bad, but hopefully that will improve after a several million player launch. The AH is working well now.
chem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012, 09:11   #45
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by chem View Post
I think you're being a bit too hard on the game. Blizzard has communicated early and often about changes they're planning in response to player feedback, some as soon as 1.0.3 (next patch). The game feels smooth and user-friendly compared to D2, and the skill combinations give tons of replayability (not to mention the gear).
I agree about smooth and user-friendly, and I too am looking forward to 1.0.3, but I'm having a very hard time seeing the respec system as offering the same degree of replayability that D2's point system had. But I need to reserve judgement until I get to cl60 and see how trying lots of different builds in Inferno compares with playing through all the difficulties with each build.

The gear system seems as rich as D2, though I find it odd that you get gems back when you unsocket them, without any drop in quality level. Gems also have no clev requirement - Blizzard clearly didn't think it was important to limit twinking!
Quote:
I do agree that the patch downtimes have been bad, but hopefully that will improve after a several million player launch. The AH is working well now.
Indeed it is. I'm not so fussed about the server downtimes (though their failure to manage the anticipated launch loads was rude - it would not have cost them a great deal to provide extra capacity for launch). My main issue of principle is having my hands tied about how I use my product. This is mainly manifested in the 10-character limit, which I hope will be raised in a future patch. (I'm not averse to a limit per se, but it needs to be 30-50 before it will not be irritating.)

That's a splendid monk you've got there. I haven't started HC yet (I need the give spare character slots for mules!), but I've got all five SC chars going:

Monk 39
Barb 34
DH 22
WD 21
Wiz 8
Old June 9, 2012, 09:13   #46
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

P.S. I worked out how to transfer my SC gold to my HC chars:

1. Give 1M gold to my bro in an SC game.

2. From an HC char, put up a cracked sash for sale with a 1M buyout.

3. He buys it, I get 850k gold in my HC stash.

Not sure if I'd want to do that, but it would make starting out in HC a lot easier!
Old June 9, 2012, 16:57   #47
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:

That's the thing that I hated about Dragon Age, you didn't have access to already purchased expansion contnet and games if you wasn't connected to the the dragon age servers, so your game content became unauthorized. I think the game companies are just ripping people off, That's why I love angband. I did love Diablo2 is diablo3 worth buying?
Old June 10, 2012, 08:43   #48
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I43GUnZN_s4

A.
Old June 10, 2012, 14:48   #49
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Awww....that sucks.
Old June 13, 2012, 15:31   #50
tprice
Rookie

tprice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
P.S. I worked out how to transfer my SC gold to my HC chars:

1. Give 1M gold to my bro in an SC game.

2. From an HC char, put up a cracked sash for sale with a 1M buyout.

3. He buys it, I get 850k gold in my HC stash.

Not sure if I'd want to do that, but it would make starting out in HC a lot easier!
Sorry, but that idea won't work. Among other things you don't see any any seller IDs so which million gold sash is he supposed to buy?

The HC and SC auctionhouses are seperate just like the stashes and gold levels are.
HC characters do not get a Real Money AH, just a GoldAH.
SC has had the GoldAH all along and just had the RMAH turn on this week.

I have found the GAH a fun mini game in its own way. Doing fairly well with a roughly 50% sell rate on my items up for sale.

Thomas P
The Bookworm
tprice is offline   Reply With Quote