Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > v4

Old June 9, 2012, 01:22   #11
Egavactip
Apprentice

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
I just finished my v4 game. I figured I had killed all the other uniques, so I jumped down about 8 levels to kill Sauron and then Morgoth. It turns out I forgot two uniques and Morgoth brought them in. It didnt really matter; it was a quick battle. I am including a pic of the weapon I was using at the time. In the treasure, interestingly, I got a +16 ring of speed, which is the highest I've seen. Wish I had gotten that before winning the game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	angbandv4ex.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	949  
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012, 03:48   #12
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
I just finished my v4 game. I figured I had killed all the other uniques, so I jumped down about 8 levels to kill Sauron and then Morgoth. It turns out I forgot two uniques and Morgoth brought them in. It didnt really matter; it was a quick battle. I am including a pic of the weapon I was using at the time. In the treasure, interestingly, I got a +16 ring of speed, which is the highest I've seen. Wish I had gotten that before winning the game.
OMG LOL @ the vs undead damage!
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012, 09:23   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
OMG LOL @ the vs undead damage!
Oooooooooook. That is indeed quite badly wrong. The problem here is not the undead damage (it seems to have got the Slay Undead affix about four or five times!), but the base damage of ~1200 per round. If that was halved it would still be an awesome weapon against undead, but only a swap for it in the endgame.

This is the first weapon I've seen which gives so many blows at such high damage - it's because of the 25% balance. This reinforces the idea that the big damage-increasing affixes really need to decrease balance so that this doesn't happen (they currently increase weight, which had the same effect under the old system). I'd better get on with coding up the balance and heft affixes.

Thanks for posting it - it was worth a chuckle!

On your other post, I think you were just unlucky with your staves - the destruction code is still identical to V's, I think. Certainly nobody else has observed a difference in v4.

Update: I just checked the code - it is identical, except for the new acid and fire traps in v4. Were many of your lost staves from traps?

EDIT: Ok, I managed to fix a couple of things this morning. Chaos breath now drains 2% of your xp, not 5000xp (!!). So the baby drakes won't be quite so bad, but the endgame wyrms will be twice as bad (it used to be 5k + 1%).

I also sorted out affixes for balance and heft. So all the major dice affixes (Massive, Giant, Of Slicing/Chaos/Disruption) now significantly reduce balance. This means that the really huge megaweapons will probably give only one blow. Obviously the values can be tweaked, but let's see how they turn out now. The new version is 2372c43 and is available for Windows at the usual place. (The OSX version will be built next time an OSX buildslave connects.)

Last edited by Magnate; June 9, 2012 at 11:25.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote