Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old June 12, 2012, 13:58   #21
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Never as it is now. v4 is a variant created for developers to play around and wildly test ideas, it is not a development version of vanilla angband. Very little of it will be in angband anytime soon.
Indeed. It will always be available, but never finished. So you can always try to honour Wickham with an ironman win in v4, and/or in V. Perhaps the ultimate would be to do it in every available version? ;-)
Old June 14, 2012, 05:50   #22
mightbecactus
Scout

mightbecactus is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that advice guys.

Can I ask a practical question then; what I really want is to play vanilla ironman, but with the difficulty a bit closer to 3.0.9b, like 80% of the way back.

I see from your signature that 3.2 is even easier than 3.3; so which version of 3.1 should I go for? Are there any downsides RE bugs / stability (I notice they all have 'beta' in the label) - or was 3.1 even more difficult than 309?

Cheers
mbc
mightbecactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2012, 07:55   #23
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbecactus View Post
Thanks for that advice guys.

Can I ask a practical question then; what I really want is to play vanilla ironman, but with the difficulty a bit closer to 3.0.9b, like 80% of the way back.

I see from your signature that 3.2 is even easier than 3.3; so which version of 3.1 should I go for? Are there any downsides RE bugs / stability (I notice they all have 'beta' in the label) - or was 3.1 even more difficult than 309?

3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions.
Timo Pietilš is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2012, 09:50   #24
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post

3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions.
Excellent! Thanks for my new signature - though I'll have to wait until 3.4.0 is final before I adopt it. Good to know we are moving in the right direction.
Old June 14, 2012, 10:38   #25
wobbly
Swordsman

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Excellent! Thanks for my new signature - though I'll have to wait until 3.4.0 is final before I adopt it. Good to know we are moving in the right direction.
Any guess-timate when that'll be?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2012, 15:10   #26
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Any guess-timate when that'll be?
Should be shortly after the last major blocker bug found in the release candidate is fixed.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012, 05:58   #27
mightbecactus
Scout

mightbecactus is on a distinguished road
Thanks Derakon; though can I politely ask for those of us who don't know what a blocker bug is or how much goes in to fixing one if that might be weeks? months?

I only ask as Wickham's heir apparent is jumping up and down with anger (and thus will prob get himself killed on lvl 5)

mbc
mightbecactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012, 06:38   #28
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Blocker bugs are bugs that block the release of the game. In other words, they're bugs that are serious enough that we wouldn't want to inflict them on non-beta-testers. That's all they have in common, so they can be anywhere from trivial to very difficult to fix depending on what precisely is wrong.

In short, I gave you a useless answer. I don't actually know when 3.4 is due to be released. I think "soon" is accurate though.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012, 13:26   #29
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Blocker bugs are bugs that block the release of the game. In other words, they're bugs that are serious enough that we wouldn't want to inflict them on non-beta-testers. That's all they have in common, so they can be anywhere from trivial to very difficult to fix depending on what precisely is wrong.

In short, I gave you a useless answer. I don't actually know when 3.4 is due to be released. I think "soon" is accurate though.
I think I can go a little further - there are two remaining blockers in 3.4RC1, both of which cause crashes on Windows (which is still the most popular platform). I don't think they're hard to fix, but we don't have any Windows devs when Blubaron isn't around, so it's hard to estimate exactly when they'll be fixed. But RC2 is, I suspect, likely to be out as soon as they are, and all goes well with RC2 the final 3.4.0 would be out a couple of weeks later.

So we're looking at somewhere around a month or so, I would guess.
Old June 15, 2012, 16:03   #30
PowerWyrm
Knight

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I think I can go a little further - there are two remaining blockers in 3.4RC1, both of which cause crashes on Windows (which is still the most popular platform). I don't think they're hard to fix, but we don't have any Windows devs when Blubaron isn't around, so it's hard to estimate exactly when they'll be fixed.
I suppose you refer to #1654 and #1657. For #1654, I'm on Win7 and I am also able to reproduce the bug when selecting the option at splash screen (strangely this doesn't happen for my variant so maybe I already fixed that when porting the feature).

Maybe I could help here... setting a debug environment for Angband source code should be pretty easy. I'll try to see if I can reproduce the crashes in debug mode this weekend...