Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 15, 2012, 04:43   #71
Elsairon
Apprentice

Elsairon is on a distinguished road
Just noticed this, and not sure if it is intended or not.

Death Mold's have resist fire, as well as hurt by fire...
Elsairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012, 05:05   #72
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsairon View Post
Just noticed this, and not sure if it is intended or not.

Death Mold's have resist fire, as well as hurt by fire...
This has to do with the monster group flags. All molds have HURT_FIRE, it just so happens that the death mold resists it. It's sort of a bug but sort of not.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012, 13:49   #73
PowerWyrm
Knight

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
I thought that was fixed ages ago... but maybe only in v4.
Old June 15, 2012, 14:14   #74
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
This has to do with the monster group flags. All molds have HURT_FIRE, it just so happens that the death mold resists it. It's sort of a bug but sort of not.
If there is a exception of the rule, then rule is not complete. Monster group that should not have that flag. Easy fix, add hurt fire to all molds except death mold and remove hurt fire from mold monster group. Done in about 5 minutes (+ whatever it takes to put it in release and compile).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012, 14:22   #75
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
If there is a exception of the rule, then rule is not complete. Monster group that should not have that flag. Easy fix, add hurt fire to all molds except death mold and remove hurt fire from mold monster group. Done in about 5 minutes (+ whatever it takes to put it in release and compile).
Quoting myself: my understanding of the monster group file is that it should define a monster species. This means all the features they all share. For example all ghosts should be invisible and have pass_wall, otherwise it isn't a ghost, it is something else.

Kinda like no bird has hair and no mammal has feathers, compound eyes -> insect, spine -> vertebrate.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012, 14:51   #76
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I'm more inclined to remove RESIST_FIRE from the death molds.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012, 17:31   #77
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Or add -HURT_FIRE to the Death Mold. I thought subtractive flags were already supported? For example, Gelatinous Cubes inherit the Jelly template but remove the HURT_COLD flag:
Code:
N:207:Gelatinous cube
T:jelly
C:G
I:110:316:12:-15:0:1
W:16:4:0:80
B:TOUCH:ACID:1d10
F:COLD_BLOOD
F:DROP_4
F:OPEN_DOOR | BASH_DOOR | TAKE_ITEM
F:IM_ACID | IM_COLD | IM_ELEC | IM_FIRE | IM_POIS
F:NO_CONF | NO_SLEEP
-F:HURT_COLD
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012, 19:23   #78
PowerWyrm
Knight

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
They are... and using -HURT_FIRE sounds neat.
Old June 16, 2012, 22:36   #79
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
my impressions for 3.4 are....

for one thing I like that the game is challenging, it's not nearly as easy it reminds me of the old days in terms of difficulty, it's no longer dropping wonderful items by the bushel.
however it can be too hard for non-stealthy characters, I have made 2 runs in comp123 and have not even seen a stealth item anywhere to help this problem out, farthest Dl41.
The dungeon it feels is like a desert, there is not many intersting items being generated at all, in terms of weapons of armour, personally I think this would be okay but without enchant scrolls availiable in town, melee becomes very problamatic with a non-stealthy character, if you look at comp123 char dumps you will see everyone is having a hard time.
My question is- why reduce character stats on start-up? this makes it even harder to get to a DL where you actualy have a chance to find something decent.

It feels like everything is nerfed down and instead of being interesting it has become aggravating gameplay.

I feel like it needs:
1. put stats back the way they where-some variants limit stats but they have several ways to nullifying this( skills in sang) enchantment for regular items).

2. make shops more interesting- if the black market is the only place selling good gear, then you might as well just remove the whole town.
because of difficulty your running up to town for the black market in hopes finding something to fight with. Sorry but I don't support the idea of a lame town and only interesting black market.

3. up object generation a little bit i'm not hardly even finding a magical dagger by DL10.

at least up object generation, specifically melee weapons, the rest is okay, as far as generation goes.
Old June 17, 2012, 04:12   #80
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
My question is- why reduce character stats on start-up? this makes it even harder to get to a DL where you actualy have a chance to find something decent.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Nick deliberately chose a character generated with the standard roller to make for a harder competition. Point-based generation hasn't gone anywhere in 3.4.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote