Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 15, 2012, 19:05   #1
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
Silly minor problem with extra-large window

Since my utf-8 problem seems to have been overcome, I wanted to try out my snazzy new ultra-huge monitor. So I open a max-sized window, run "./angband -- -b" and ... it fails. Complains that the "main window is too small" ?!?! It didn't take me long to figure out that the problem is that Term->wid (and also Term->hgt) are stored as *bytes*, which meant that my huge window (with >256 columns) wrapped the available range.

Once I understood this, it was easy enough to create a window with "only" 254 columns, and everything works great. I think it would be nice if "hgt" and "wid" could be made shorts rather than bytes, but perhaps an easier change/fix would be to just limit the value to 255 (e.g. use something like:
Term->wid = min(COLS,255);
when assigning a value to "wid").
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012, 20:12   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
...we're actually using bytes for anything other than ASCII chars? That's really rather sad.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012, 23:56   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
...we're actually using bytes for anything other than ASCII chars? That's really rather sad.
Er ... don't forget that when Angband was written the average RAM on a PC was about 1MB. Every byte counted - so yes, we have all of byte, s16b and u16b to save memory over using 4-byte integers ...
Old June 16, 2012, 00:56   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Okay, let me rephrase.

We're still using bytes for anything other than ASCII chars? That's really rather sad.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012, 04:56   #5
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
Complains that the "main window is too small" ?!?! It didn't take me long to figure out that the problem is that Term->wid (and also Term->hgt) are stored as *bytes*, which meant that my huge window (with >256 columns) wrapped the available range.
I get this error with tiles too, before I learned to avoid it. If I maximize the screen during character creation, it would crash upon arrival in town, or just before that happened, or at least I used to. I don't recall the circumstances exactly but it's probably worth fixing (in variants too, you crazy variant maintainers).
Old June 16, 2012, 19:22   #6
PowerWyrm
Knight

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
For my variant I've limited row/col size to 255. I've tried to change them to short ints, but this would have meant rewriting half of the code, since those bytes are spreading all over the place in the code