Angband.oook.cz
AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 28, 2012, 02:10   #1
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Sangband 1.0.2 bug

Just noticed a bug in 1.0.2, browsing through the book shop in town, I noticed words of wisdom was selling for 320gp, *but* holy of holies sold for 370gp!? no discount listed. the other 3rd tiers spellbooks listed correct prices.
Old July 31, 2012, 03:57   #2
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
a couple of other possible bugs-

1. wooden torch of shadows still give stealth/infravision bonuses even when the fuel for the torch has expired.

2. Saw an empty room by itself on the DL a square room several squares away from the main dungeon, magic mapping revealed no corridors to it. Phased door into it, the room was empty.

3. Also have a helm of serenity that grants confusion resistance, yet Nar mind blasted me and still caused confusion.

Last edited by Malak Darkhunter; August 1, 2012 at 01:45.
Malak Darkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012, 01:52   #3
RogerN
Swordsman

RogerN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
2. Saw an empty room by itself on the DL a square room several squares away from the main dungeon, magic mapping revealed no corridors to it. Phased door into it, the room was empty.
Most Angband variants do not guarantee dungeon connectivity. The dungeon-generating algorithm attempts to connect each room to at least one other room, but due to the random nature of the tunneling code it sometimes fails to find a legal path.

IIRC Sangband's tunneling algorithm is pretty much identical to those used by other popular variants, but some of the rooms that Sangband generates (especially on lower levels) make it a little harder for the tunneling code to find a legal path between rooms.
RogerN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012, 03:55   #4
Patashu
Swordsman

Patashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerN View Post
Most Angband variants do not guarantee dungeon connectivity. The dungeon-generating algorithm attempts to connect each room to at least one other room, but due to the random nature of the tunneling code it sometimes fails to find a legal path.

IIRC Sangband's tunneling algorithm is pretty much identical to those used by other popular variants, but some of the rooms that Sangband generates (especially on lower levels) make it a little harder for the tunneling code to find a legal path between rooms.
You'd think you could make a last pass to remove rooms unconnected from the rest of the dungeon..

(Nice avatar btw!)
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012, 04:12   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
You'd think you could make a last pass to remove rooms unconnected from the rest of the dungeon..
That would require determining map connectivity, which is something the dungeon generator doesn't do. I'd imagine when the game was written such a thing would have been fairly expensive...though at the same time I'm not entirely clear on why the generator wasn't written in a way that guarantees connectivity to begin with.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012, 07:55   #6
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
That would require determining map connectivity, which is something the dungeon generator doesn't do. I'd imagine when the game was written such a thing would have been fairly expensive...though at the same time I'm not entirely clear on why the generator wasn't written in a way that guarantees connectivity to begin with.
I had to wrestle with this in the dev version of my variant (Fay -> Halls of Mist). After I tweaked the dungeon generation, unconnected rooms became much more common. I had to create a super-hackish connectivity test (I'm not a coder really). It seems to work alright, but it would be cool to see a cleaner implementation in Vanilla.

BTW, some of my rooms are generated after placing stairs and most tunnels. That way I can have properly locked doors. If you fail your lock picking skill check, you might have no other way to get in the treasure room.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012, 09:56   #7
Patashu
Swordsman

Patashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
That would require determining map connectivity, which is something the dungeon generator doesn't do. I'd imagine when the game was written such a thing would have been fairly expensive...
Yes, and now it's 2012, where even your microwave could probably solve it
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2012, 13:49   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
3. Also have a helm of serenity that grants confusion resistance, yet Nar mind blasted me and still caused confusion.
I think this is WAD - IIRC mind blasting can penetrate rconf as well as FA (and rblind too, possibly).
Old August 2, 2012, 00:52   #9
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I think this is WAD - IIRC mind blasting can penetrate rconf as well as FA (and rblind too, possibly).
Yep, all true. WAD since before my time. There's worse out there, though, that gets through resistances. You have been warned.
Old August 2, 2012, 20:16   #10
NotMorgoth
Adept

NotMorgoth is on a distinguished road
There are at least two monsters in the game who can paralyze you through Free Action. Probably quite a few more than two, but two I know of for certain.
NotMorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote