AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old August 3, 2012, 20:58   #31
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I saw that too! One of the fun things about these videos is seeing how many mistakes I make without even realizing it. I think I got confused because =Accuracy and =Evasion don't cost experience (or do they?), so I assumed all the skill-boosting rings were the same
Accuracy and Evasion are a bit of an anomaly in Smithing terms. Because they can show up via artistry on regular non-magical items (and indeed the game treats them differently, giving them their own brackets) it seems wrong to charge experience for them.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2012, 17:27   #32
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Next video is up!

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3s_kkDqqf8

Last edited by debo; August 7, 2012 at 13:43.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2012, 22:33   #33
Scatha
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Next video is up!

http://youtu.be/Lr4nwmAOseA
It says you've removed the video. Probably you know this, but just letting you know in case it was a misclick somewhere.
Old August 7, 2012, 13:42   #34
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
It says you've removed the video. Probably you know this, but just letting you know in case it was a misclick somewhere.
Thanks for the warning. I'm not sure what happened there... I've re-uploaded the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3s_kkDqqf8
Old August 7, 2012, 17:32   #35
clouded
Adept

clouded is on a distinguished road
The red shield is the kite shield of Hador. It has fire and cold res, and with the (-1) it's pretty sweet. For perception skills are you thinking of getting concentration? I think it's better for archers than anyone else, I find it a bit hard to get consistant use out of it for melee dudes. For archers I actually like to get flaming arrows early on, you can find/forge a lot of arrows and they are really helpful for getting out of dangerous spots or against uniques.

Also, I love the barrow wight vaults too.

Last edited by clouded; August 7, 2012 at 17:45.
clouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012, 12:14   #36
Scatha
Swordsman

You mention that trolls aren't really a threat for any characters. Does everyone find this? (I see they have claimed a few scalps on the ladder, but not that many.) If so, what makes them particularly easy?

This isn't the intention, anyhow. For the next version we're deliberately trying to position them as an enemy which is slightly tough to fight but easy to evade or otherwise deal with -- they will have low Perception and Will. They are getting a bonus of 1 to melee across the board and deeper types are getting more health to help their combat abilities, but is more wanted in this direction?
Old August 8, 2012, 12:22   #37
debo
Veteran

The only trolls I find truly scary are Troll Guards. The rest are just sort of 'meh'. I can generally run through a pack of them and only get hit once or twice, which is painful but not deadly (their damage dice aren't quite big enough for that, unlike giants.)

In certain situations (e.g. trying to fight 3 of them in a corridor with poor melee), their regen overcomes your damage output and THEN they're dangerous. But other monsters at those depths (Rauko, wargs, werewolves) are more terrifying, IMO, because it's harder to escape from them / hit them.
Old August 8, 2012, 13:45   #38
clouded
Adept

clouded is on a distinguished road
Yes, I think it's that by the time you find them regularly you just have good enough defenses and offenses to handle them without huge trouble. I do have to run from mountain trolls sometimes with various characters, snow trolls a bit more often, and native depth troll guards have killed a number of my protection characters due to having really good damage output.

Their regen could perhaps be pushed a bit more, as debo says it's not really relevant when fighting 1v1 except if you have to run a bit to try and regen yourself.
clouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012, 16:22   #39
debo
Veteran

Next video is up -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S4kUAMKGXc

This one is a doozy, clocking in at almost an hour!

FYI: You'll hear me question/think about things in this video that we've already addressed in this thread. This isn't because I'm ignoring the advice received here; it's because I tend to record these videos in batches. The video I just uploaded is ~1wk old, for example.

Enjoy!
Old August 10, 2012, 15:00   #40
debo
Veteran

And another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ria57e9JVmo

Are these updates annoying/useless? Would you rather I just let you all subscribe to the channel on youtube if you so desire, and stop posting here?