AboutDownloadVariantsLadderForumCompetitionSpoilersComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old August 21, 2012, 05:18   #261
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Does anyone know how much stealth is necessary for being essentially invisible to everyone and anyone?
20 will save you from almost anything. Cat assassins and cats in general will still catch you once in a while, though.

Hugging the walls and taking Disguise can help a LOT.

23 stealth has been enough to keep me basically invisible for the lategame and ascent.

For an Assassination character, more stealth is always better, since it contributes directly to your melee score when a foe is unwary.

Edit: Also, don't forget about Stealth Mode. +5 is no joke, and it can be very handy when e.g. wandering cats slink by.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2012, 10:20   #262
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
I was looking through the edit files and found a (Balanced) weapon type. I haven't found it in game, because it appears to have max_depth 0. What should I do to make it work?
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2012, 11:49   #263
Philip
Knight

Oh, does throwing bypass half of monster evasion or not? It appears not from the calculation screen, but I thought I'd ask. Also, how do criticals work on throwing?
Old August 21, 2012, 11:51   #264
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was looking through the edit files and found a (Balanced) weapon type. I haven't found it in game, because it appears to have max_depth 0. What should I do to make it work?
It should be commented out; that's why you've never found it. We used to have balanced throwing weapons in the game (giving (+3) when thrown, I think), but removed them for not adding much. In case of a change of heart, half just commented it out rather than delete it. There are a couple of other items commented out for similar reasons.

In any case the special items generally have a bit of an overhaul in the upcoming version.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2012, 11:54   #265
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh, does throwing bypass half of monster evasion or not? It appears not from the calculation screen, but I thought I'd ask. Also, how do criticals work on throwing?
Throwing is treated just like a melee attack (including criticals), except that the weight required for each point of strength bonus is 0.5lbs rather than 1lb. The idea is that arrows go fast enough to make dodging after they shoot nearly impossible (hence evasion is halved), but thrown items don't.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2012, 12:40   #266
Philip
Knight

I hope it is commented back in, or I suppose that I can do it myself, because I like throwing. Balance works ok, with throwing being powerful early on, but it soon becomes sort of weaker, with most weapons, (even double criticaled spears) not harming easterlings and such. I think (Balanced) being reintroduced would be nice, or atleast making them forgeable. Nevertheless, it is a feature noone really uses much, so it isn't worth it changing. Anyone can do it themselves anyway.

EDIT: Or not. Apparently the flag PERFECT_BALANCE is causing trouble at the load screen.

Last edited by Philip; August 21, 2012 at 12:45.
Old August 21, 2012, 18:14   #267
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
So I started playing Sil recently since the whole "smithing" thing strikes me as interesting. But I hit a part of the user interface I didn't like. I use the "curses" version, and I have this really spiffy gigantic screen. The "-b" (big screen) option works well enough, but when I try to use the more useful and interesting 4 terminal default option, sil insists on using just 24x80 in the upper-left (dungeon map) terminal, despite there being lots of additional room.

So I changed it.

Attached is a version of main-gcu.c that allows me to put extra screen real estate into the upper-left portion when using a screen that is big enough to allow it. The code was already doing all the hard parts correctly; this was just a matter of changing the way the rows/colums were computed within init_gcu for the four terminal windows. It should (I hope!) not make any difference when the screen size is less than 50x160. But on screens larger than that, it puts the additional room into the map view. Feel free to use this (or not) as you see fit.
Attached Files
File Type: zip main-gcu.zip (7.0 KB, 11 views)
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2012, 22:10   #268
Patashu
Swordsman

Patashu is on a distinguished road
I just had a thought. Would it be unbalanced for stairs to change colour and interrupt you (your light radius) number of turns before enemies spawn through it?
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2012, 03:24   #269
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
I just had a thought. Would it be unbalanced for stairs to change colour and interrupt you (your light radius) number of turns before enemies spawn through it?
I personally like having enemies burst around me just as I'm about to reach the stairs Then again, I usually play stealthy characters.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2012, 03:47   #270
HugoTheGreat2011
Swordsman

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
Unbalanced, yes. But, that could be fixed by having monsters spawn from stairs much more often.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote