Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2007, 13:01   #61
Psi
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 870
Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zangbandfreak View Post
I did, but i couldn't find a place where to define them. Some work though, but i wanted to re-map them.
Bring up a SIP keyboard and use the @ command. Then create keymap or macro. When it asks for a trigger, just press the hardware key you want to use - I set this up for my device so there is a chance that your device uses different key mappings for its hardware buttons though.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 13:03   #62
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 52
Posts: 6,478
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zangbandfreak View Post
I did, but i couldn't find a place where to define them. Some work though, but i wanted to re-map them.
If hit '@' and go into the 'interact with macros' screen you should be able to map the hardware buttons, I think. And so does Psi, I now notice

Quote:
But now i found that pointing with the stylus also works. I have to figure out where the limits are though, because i'm still walking the wrong way

Am i correct in assuming you can press around the character and it'll walk in that direction? For left-right/up-down this works great, but for diagonal moves it's a little tricky.
Correct in principle
There is a bug in 0.2.2 which means that movement with the stylus is not very accurate; still, one grid at a time should work OK. Tapping further away should send you in approximately the right direction, but the bug makes you start out in the wrong direction before heading toward the tap point.
__________________
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2007, 11:35   #63
zangbandfreak
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12
zangbandfreak is on a distinguished road
Ah. Thanks, both
zangbandfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007, 13:12   #64
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 52
Posts: 6,478
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Wacky idea of the day

Bookless spellcasting. Here's how it would work:

- Once you've learnt a spell, you don't need the book to cast it
- Casting bookless will come at a penalty of more mana and/or increased fail rate
- You would have a small chance of getting it wrong, and getting some other effect
- You would be able to cast blind, probably with a greater penalty than just bookless
- You would be able to cast confused, but with a big chance of the wrong spell
- Amnesia attacks would eliminate your bookless casting ability - you would have to relearn the spells

I don't know if I like it, but it's fun to think about.
__________________
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007, 13:20   #65
CJNyfalt
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 289
CJNyfalt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Bookless spellcasting. Here's how it would work:

- Once you've learnt a spell, you don't need the book to cast it
- Casting bookless will come at a penalty of more mana and/or increased fail rate
- You would have a small chance of getting it wrong, and getting some other effect
- You would be able to cast blind, probably with a greater penalty than just bookless
- You would be able to cast confused, but with a big chance of the wrong spell
- Amnesia attacks would eliminate your bookless casting ability - you would have to relearn the spells

I don't know if I like it, but it's fun to think about.
The question is, would all the penalties really motivate people to play without the books? Dungeon books are hard to get, so the player would still have to keep one in the home - no gain of an inventory slot. Town books usually contains important spells that you don't want to cast with penalty.
CJNyfalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007, 14:19   #66
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 42
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJNyfalt View Post
The question is, would all the penalties really motivate people to play without the books? Dungeon books are hard to get, so the player would still have to keep one in the home - no gain of an inventory slot. Town books usually contains important spells that you don't want to cast with penalty.
Couldn't you treat this as a 'casting from memory', as opposed to 'bookless casting'?

You still need to carry the book, but if you can't read, its dark, you're confused, etc. you cast from memory instead. You can cast any spell from memory once, and there is a chance of 'forgetting' a spell equal to the failure percentage, after its cast.

When you recover from the status effect, you can cast it normally directly from the book, which also refreshes your memory of all spells in that book. Browsing or studying from the book does the same

The reason I suggest 'from memory' as opposed to 'bookless' is that the book selection UI will differ from other 'object selection' UIs.

This would help with all the 'unlight magic'/Shadowstalker discussion here and here as well...

Andrew
[Editted to add link to Sangband manifesto].
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Last edited by andrewdoull; June 7, 2007 at 14:58.
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007, 15:44   #67
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,820
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Bookless spellcasting. Here's how it would work:

- Once you've learnt a spell, you don't need the book to cast it
- Casting bookless will come at a penalty of more mana and/or increased fail rate
- You would have a small chance of getting it wrong, and getting some other effect
- You would be able to cast blind, probably with a greater penalty than just bookless
- You would be able to cast confused, but with a big chance of the wrong spell
- Amnesia attacks would eliminate your bookless casting ability - you would have to relearn the spells

I don't know if I like it, but it's fun to think about.
I don't think mana should increase, just fail rate. Casting blind should have the same penalty as bookless casting generally. It should be possible to bring the fail rates for bookless casting for the early spells down to as low as they are with books.

That's how I'd do it, anyway. I'd also remove amnesia (grr to micromanagement).
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007, 17:31   #68
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 42
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I don't think mana should increase, just fail rate. Casting blind should have the same penalty as bookless casting generally. It should be possible to bring the fail rates for bookless casting for the early spells down to as low as they are with books.

That's how I'd do it, anyway. I'd also remove amnesia (grr to micromanagement).
That reminds me: should we include my amnesia proposal for the up and coming release, or the one after?

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007, 18:40   #69
Seany C
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Deepest, darkest Yorkshire...
Posts: 283
Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Nick;918]Bookless spellcasting. Here's how it would work:

Quote:
- Once you've learnt a spell, you don't need the book to cast it
- Casting bookless will come at a penalty of more mana and/or increased fail rate.
Sounds interesting - worth testing at least...
-
Quote:
- You would be able to cast confused, but with a big chance of the wrong spell .
Good (if evil) plan. Another evil plan would be to give a small chance that when blind/confused, you use the wrong potion/rod/etc...
(although that's really going to put people off carrying !ofDetontations)

Quote:
- Amnesia attacks would eliminate your bookless casting ability - you would have to relearn the spells
.
Erk- amnesia's already nasty (well, annoying, anyhoo) - I'd restrict the number of mid-level monsters that cast it, in that case...

S.
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007, 19:52   #70
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,820
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
That reminds me: should we include my amnesia proposal for the up and coming release, or the one after?

Andrew
I did a rough version of this already:
http://angband.rogueforge.net/trac/changeset/158

It might be a bit nasty as it stands, though.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.