AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old October 9, 2013, 03:14   #21
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Your net gain from this complicated forging operation isn't necessarily any better than a "common" artistry build (with less skill requirement? I remember armour on a crown is quite difficult) that makes an improved leather armour (or studded leather) and a good helm [+0, 1d3]. The additional evasion really helps for a dwarf at start. I made my dwarves with 3/2/5/2 - additional strength and dexterity helps as well - although I had no ambition to make a mastersmith and you apparently worried about efficient forge use. (Making early armour last long?)
Yep, definitely less skill requirement for the "common" artistry start. But I like the 13 smithing to start because it's thematic of a master smith and it allows for either +2 rings of accuracy or the 3d5 5lb battle axe.

Given the choice, I prefer a [-2, 2d4] corslet to a [+0, 1d5] leather armor, just for survivability. I also prefer the [+1, 1d1] crown to the [+0, 1d3] helm, but that has also to do with the crown's imperviousness to acid. The crown and the corslet take 13 and 12 smithing respectively.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2013, 10:02   #22
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
My current favourite idea is the fencer build (0 STR, no stealth melee) which needs smithing and goes for subtlety and rapid attack on a less than 1 lb weapon later. This requires smithing (as you can't find shortswords below 1 lb, but can make them). Oddly enough the first thing to smith for this build turns out to be a glaive, almost the only weapon that gives enough damage output pre-subtlety for a low strength character.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2013, 18:16   #23
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
I'm really enjoying this norgrod 3/1/5/3 smithing build. I take 3 melee and 2 evasion and 8 smithing at the start and build a 3d5 5lb battle axe at the first forge, along with a good corslet and kite shield. That generally gives enough survivability till the second forge, where I'll usually take Jeweler and make 2 +2 accuracy rings and a haunted dreams amulet.

Probably not a hugely powerful build but I think high protection is fun, and with a good battle axe and Power and high strength, you can still do enough damage to cut through pretty much any armor, even wielding the axe one-handed. One benefit of high protection is that it doubles as high resistance to gorcrow or dragonfly attacks. They have to do at least 1 point of damage to affect you with the debuff, and they're virtually never able to.

I really don't know about whirlwind attack though. The legitimate uses for it seem few and far between. It's fun to stand in the middle of a room thwacking everybody around you, but even if you already have Whirwind attack (say through a fury weapon), it's rarely the survivable thing to do.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote