AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old January 16, 2013, 12:16   #61
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Would it be possibly to have the death message accessible via the savefile because I invariably on impulse don't save the chardump but press ESC after a stupid death?

Is there any chance to reconfigure my keyboard (i have no diagonals on my laptop and using the numbers instead is tedious and error-prone).
The first of these would be nice, but would take me several hours to program, which is not really worth it. You will just have to stop pressing ESC...

The second can be done via the pref files (as adding an interface for it is probably not worth the time yet). I've added a quick guide to this to the relevant file pref.prf:

# Keyset mappings take the form:
# A: action
# C: keyset : key
#
# There are 4 keysets (0, 1, 2, 3), representing the Sil and Angband-style sets
# without and with the hjkl movement
#
# When you press the 'key', the underlying 'action' is triggered.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013, 13:56   #62
jdh
Rookie

jdh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
The first of these would be nice, but would take me several hours to program, which is not really worth it. You will just have to stop pressing ESC...
I've thought about writing a patch for something like Crawl's mortem: always save a chardump Character-Timestamp.txt on death. It isn't very hard with strftime, but there is a question of how much Sil should be writing to disk without asking the user.
jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013, 14:25   #63
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I've thought about writing a patch for something like Crawl's mortem: always save a chardump Character-Timestamp.txt on death. It isn't very hard with strftime, but there is a question of how much Sil should be writing to disk without asking the user.
What about a file named last-character.txt, that gets overwritten every time? If your worries are about the used space on disk, rather than the amount of I/O, this will solve the problem.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013, 20:49   #64
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I had a "view your last character" feature in FAangband for a while (when you first opened the game after dying) - but after some code changes I never re-implemented it.
Old January 16, 2013, 21:09   #65
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
The game should save everything it can automatically. Hard drive space for text is so cheap nowadays.
Old January 17, 2013, 21:07   #66
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Strange random error when loading up a game I'd been playing earlier today:
Error (Cannot parse savefile) reading 1.1.1. savefile -more-

Loading a 1.1.1 savefile...
Restoring Dungeon...
Cannot place object 1!
Error reading dungeon data
The savefile was made using this version of Sil (1.1.1), so I'm at a loss. Savefile is attached.

I don't need you to move heaven and earth to fix this particular savefile, as the character isn't advanced or much in danger of winning the game. But thought you might like to see the bug so that someone else doesn't lose their first potential winner.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Coriquen.zip (38.8 KB, 53 views)
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2013, 21:57   #67
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post

Restoring Dungeon...
Cannot place object 1!

This happened again with another savefile. My behavior: open Sil 1.1.1, start a new character (brand new savefile), play a few levels, quit. Come back later in the day, play a couple levels, quit. Come back a third time, get the error above -- savefile is unusable.

I'm playing on a Windows 7 box. This has only occurred since the 1.1.1 update. Any ideas?
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013, 12:36   #68
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm playing on a Windows 7 box. This has only occurred since the 1.1.1 update. Any ideas?
Hi Starhawk. Thanks for posting about this rather serious bug. I haven't heard anyone else having the same problem, so luckily it seems to be uncommon across people even if common across your plays. If anyone else is having this problem, please post here to say so.

I don't have time to trace this down at the moment, but thanks for posting your savefile too -- it should help when I have the time. A quick search for the error message in the source code shows it involves parts of the code I don't understand. My best guess is that it is something to do with modifying the save/load code which I sometimes tweak between versions.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013, 16:23   #69
WildKhaine
Scout

WildKhaine is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Restoring Dungeon...
Cannot place object 1!
The savefile was made using this version of Sil (1.1.1), so I'm at a loss. Savefile is attached.
I had this happen to one of my saves awhile back. Deleted the file and haven't had the same error message again.
WildKhaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013, 21:48   #70
jdh
Rookie

jdh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
Hi Starhawk. Thanks for posting about this rather serious bug. I haven't heard anyone else having the same problem, so luckily it seems to be uncommon across people even if common across your plays. If anyone else is having this problem, please post here to say so.

I don't have time to trace this down at the moment, but thanks for posting your savefile too -- it should help when I have the time. A quick search for the error message in the source code shows it involves parts of the code I don't understand. My best guess is that it is something to do with modifying the save/load code which I sometimes tweak between versions.
Is this with the latest version of Sil 1.1.1 (half fixed a few bugs, including one which generated invalid objects)? I took a quick look at it and the object it's choking on appears to be an excellent pair of greaves with no artefact type and a 254 ego type, which is out of range (this is what the load chokes on).
jdh is offline   Reply With Quote