AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old January 20, 2013, 15:57   #1
steffomio
Rookie

steffomio is on a distinguished road
Searching for Stats and Dice explanation from the Ground

Sorry for my totally newbe Question.
I have no understanding what the Stats like 1d5 (+1, +1) on Items (eg. Weapons) mean.
The only thing I got for now is that d means Dice.

There are many Links where advanced Effects are explained but the pure Basics are heavy to find, especially when you have no Idea on what Keywords to search for.
Searching on Dice makes no sense, same on 1d5 or whatever I though may me sensefull...pleeease help!

I'm a so bloody newbe that I have no Idea where to start learning.
Is there any Link available that explain that Stuff from the Ground?
steffomio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2013, 22:33   #2
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
How I understand it:

xdy is damage dice. When you hit an enemy, it does xdy damage + your damage modifier from damage boosts and strength and so on.
(+x, +y) is accuracy bonus, damage bonus. Damage is more important than accuracy 90% of the time.
[+x] is AC bonus (helps you not get hit, but after the early game it's meaningless since all the dangerous attacks ignore AC)
<+x> is a 'pval', a bonus to... something. (You'll have to examine the item with 'I' to see what it's for.)
Old January 20, 2013, 22:46   #3
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
There used to be a good newbie guide at http://www.thangorodrim.net/, but it looks like the site is no longer there. It is dated information, but ought to be sufficient to get a newbie off the ground, even today. You can use the wayback machine website to get the data, just search the last grab.

http://archive.org/web/web.php

Is this somewhere else, perhaps... I did a quick look but didn't see it.

Or, is there is a newer guide? I know somebody did some Angband Youtube Videos.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013, 01:08   #4
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffomio View Post
I have no understanding what the Stats like 1d5 (+1, +1) on Items (eg. Weapons) mean.
1d5 is standard D&D notation. 1 (in this case) is the number of dice rolled. 5 is the number of sides on each die. In this case, 1d5 is the equivalent of rolling one 5-sided die, resulting in a result of 1, 2, 3 ,4 or 5. Some thing like 2d6 should make more sense. That's two 6-sided dice just as you would roll in most board games resulting in 2 thru 12 with 7 being the most common result.

The (+1, +2) part is a bit trickier. The first number is a bonus "to hit", increasing your odds of hitting a monster. The second number is "to damage", increasing your damage output for each successful hit. The numbers can also be negative which will reduce your chance "to hit" and/or damage output.

Exactly what a "+1" equates to varies form variant to variant. In Vanilla, I believe "+1 to damage" equate to a literal +1. So a weapon 1d5 (+1,+1) would produce 2 thru 6 damage rather than 1 thru 5. "+1 to hit" increase your chance of hitting, but it's difficult to discern how much.

Hope that helps.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:07   #5
steffomio
Rookie

steffomio is on a distinguished road
That helps a LOT!

Let us see if I understood right:
The Dices rule if I make a Hit with my Weapon against the Enemies ... Dices of its Shield or whatever.
The Count of a Dice-throw are not counted which is the highest, they are added to a max Value:
A throw with 2d6 may have 3 and 4, Result is not 4, its 7. With a (+1, +0) Weapon it will be 8.

If my throw of Attack is higher than the Enemies throw of Defense I made a Hit and the next Step of the Fight will be calculated, else I miss and nothing happens, the Enemy shrug off or whatever.

On Hit the Damage of the Weapon takes effect against the Enemies Armor and all the other things.

Last edited by steffomio; January 21, 2013 at 10:20.
steffomio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013, 23:55   #6
Patashu
Knight

One thing to know is that there's no 'damage reduction' in Angband. If you hit, you roll damage add damage bonus and do exactly that number in damage. If you miss nothing happens. AC makes missing more likely, no damage reduction.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:50   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Actually, player AC does grant damage reduction against most common melee attacks. You max out at 60% damage reduction at AC 350. Monster AC, as far as I'm aware, just makes them harder to hit.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2013, 23:41   #8
Patashu
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Actually, player AC does grant damage reduction against most common melee attacks. You max out at 60% damage reduction at AC 350. Monster AC, as far as I'm aware, just makes them harder to hit.
Oh, very interesting!
Old January 23, 2013, 13:20   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
Oh, very interesting!
If monster hits to <something> (confuse, burn etc.) then AC doesn't reduce damage. That is one reason why Greater Titans make such insane amount of damage compared to most other monsters at that same level. All of it is going thru the AC which by the time you see one is usually quite high and you have used to get much less damage from similar melee dice listed in monster description.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote