Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 21, 2013, 19:44   #1
fruviad
Scout

fruviad is on a distinguished road
Configuring "run" behavior?

The "run" command will make you move in the specified direction until you get to a point where you have to make a decision (e.g. a corridor splits in two directions.)

Is it possible to configure the "run" behavior to ONLY move a certain number of squares before you stop, regardless of whether you've encountered a "decision" point?

I've died more than once because I used "run" and travelled farther than my previous "Detect Monsters" range only to find myself face-to-face with an unexpected monster that's very large, out of depth, and hungry for adventurer stew. I'd like to limit the run behavior to a certain number of squares to ensure that this happens less frequently.

If there is no such functionality, it would be a nice feature in a future release...

TIA,

-peter
fruviad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2013, 19:48   #2
DaviddesJ
Swordsman

DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruviad View Post
I've died more than once because I used "run" and travelled farther than my previous "Detect Monsters" range
This shouldn't be possible. It's supposed to stop moving when you reach the edge of your detection zone. (Of course, if monsters are moving around then you might still meet them inside that area.) What version are you playing and what options do you have set?
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2013, 19:54   #3
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I'm always annoyed when I out run my wand of light.
Old August 21, 2013, 20:15   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You'll stop moving when you hit the edge of your trap detection zone, but only if you have one (i.e. have cast Detect Traps). And besides, monsters move around, so it's not unreasonable to want to keep closer tabs on them. Being able to configure the "max steps until disturbance" seems reasonable.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2013, 20:26   #5
DaviddesJ
Swordsman

DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You'll stop moving when you hit the edge of your trap detection zone, but only if you have one (i.e. have cast Detect Traps).
Oh, duh. Sorry. I guess it's not quite as automatic as I thought. However, usually it makes sense to detect monsters and traps at the same time (whether with one spell or several), and that automatically marks the edge of the region for both (because the detection zone is the same). So that does mostly do what the OP asked for. But I agree that if you want to be more conservative then a maximum number of steps per run command would not be unreasonable.

If you don't have any way to Detect Traps, then it might be nice to have a way for other detection spells to mark the detection area. But, as a practical matter, you really just want a way to detect traps, it's too easy to screw up your game by not detecting them.
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2013, 02:50   #6
fruviad
Scout

fruviad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
Oh, duh. Sorry. I guess it's not quite as automatic as I thought. However, usually it makes sense to detect monsters and traps at the same time (whether with one spell or several), and that automatically marks the edge of the region for both (because the detection zone is the same). So that does mostly do what the OP asked for. But I agree that if you want to be more conservative then a maximum number of steps per run command would not be unreasonable.

If you don't have any way to Detect Traps, then it might be nice to have a way for other detection spells to mark the detection area. But, as a practical matter, you really just want a way to detect traps, it's too easy to screw up your game by not detecting them.
Another issue to consider with regard to trap detection zone limits is that they only work the first time you wander through an area. When you back-track through an area that you've already visited and detected, you no longer have that border to stop your run.

Besides that, however, I'd like to have the option of stopping before I reach the trap detection border. If that out of depth monster was just a few feet beyond the range of my last combined trap/monster detection and my run down some hallway takes me directly to it, I could find myself staring at a tombstone. It would be nice to set a "max-run-distance" to less than the detection range, thus ensuring I have more time to detect the monster from a distance and plan ahead. (One might even tweak the setting one way or the other depending on whether the level feeling involves tame, sheltered places or omens of death.)
fruviad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013, 18:46   #7
kaypy
Swordsman

kaypy is on a distinguished road
Hmm. Actually, you can set you system up to run a maximum length for a single run.

If you give the run command a count, it will only run that distance. Tweak the run macros to use a count and suddenly everything should work how you want it. You could even set up a few config files so you could load in the appropriate length for a given danger.
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote